Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this SCMi T130 Shaper?

Blog Entries
    If I ever buy a new feeder it will be a dc40. Not completely sold on the smart stand though.

They are beasts (the stand). The horizontal vertical swap, and then swing to a fixed lock postion is handy. But its a spendy adder. I wish I'd gone with a DC40 and a DC70 but it is what it is. Im not investing in any new equipment but if I were I'd sell one of the 40's and buy a 70.

I have the DC40 and the stand itself is phenomenal.

have old school stuff and level of torture varies with brand. If you have old school I think its good to block them. I have one that moves and that will never end in a positive way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Renner View Post
    Thank you gentlemen! It needs some tlc before use and I need to keep working. This new shop is 螺 螺 螺

First project for the shaper is in January, bunch of bead & cove for a cedar soaking tub, have a few of those to make next year. I like to make my own ship lap and I would love to use it for tenons but without a crosscut sled that seems quite dangerous. Plenty of other applications as well. I’m not a cabinet maker so the only raised panels I’ll be making will be by hand…doss that make me a masochist? 

I’m looking for a good power feeder, something that deserves to be attached to this behemoth, so far I’m considering the Felder F 48 four roller, it’s $1500 but I think Felder is worth it. I love my AD 741!

I used to work in the boat world so I’ve used shapers plenty, lots of pattern stuff without a fence.. that will wake you up in the morning!
    Realize that the Felder feeder isn't made by Felder -- if I recall correctly, it is actually a rebranded Steff. You can probably buy it for less directly from Steff...

I’m very interested in the Comatic feeders, I don’t quite grasp the differences, will take more research

My idea on the Felder feeder are tied to a deposit I have on an Felder RL140 slated to arrive early next year. If I pass on the collector I could use the non refundable deposit towards the feeder

Some good machine feeders are, or used to be , sold new with really bad tires that have no grip. Be carefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Some good machine feeders are, or used to be , sold new with really bad tires that have no grip. Be carefull.
    That was true even with the Comatic DC40s at least when I ordered but that was some time ago. I ordered a set of western roller wheels and a couple half wheels the same day the feeder was ordered and jerked the stock wheels off when it came out of the box. The stock wheels are not miserable to have especially if you run into a situation where you really want to crowd the cutter with one wheel or even cut into the tire slightly. Rare, but Ive done it a few times and just tossed one of the stock wheels in that location.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 11-16-2021 at 5:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Realize that the Felder feeder isn't made by Felder -- if I recall correctly, it is actually a rebranded Steff. You can probably buy it for less directly from Steff...
    This is correct. Steff is pretty much "the feeder" that many European companies buy and re-brand. They are rock-solid reliable but also very basic in design. I have no idea how their pricing stacks up against ours, though. Several of my customers own Comatic DC feeders and I must say, they are pretty awesome. I believe Shopgear is the dealer.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    This is correct. Steff is pretty much "the feeder" that many European companies buy and re-brand. They are rock-solid reliable but also very basic in design. I have no idea how their pricing stacks up against ours, though. Several of my customers own Comatic DC feeders and I must say, they are pretty awesome. I believe Shopgear is the dealer.

Erik
    Is anyone even left besides Steff and Comatic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Is anyone even left besides Steff and Comatic?
    I don't think so.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Renner View Post
    I’m very interested in the Comatic feeders, I don’t quite grasp the differences, will take more research

My idea on the Felder feeder are tied to a deposit I have on an Felder RL140 slated to arrive early next year. If I pass on the collector I could use the non refundable deposit towards the feeder
    Your main advantage with the DC40 style feeder is complete variable speed across its range (down to like 7fpm). The ability to stop/start the feeder/change direction, change feed speed on-the-fly, and tool free wheel swaps. I think they may have changed now but DC40's I have have basically a large wing nut holding the wheels on so there is no need to spin out 4 socket head cap screws to swap a wheel. You can change wheel configurations in seconds. The variable speed on the fly is super handy in my opinion being able to start into a cut a bit conservative and ramp up to the sweet spot with no shifting gears, swapping out sprockets, etc.. Ive even found it handy running knotty material where you can dial down the speed approaching a gnarly spot and then ramp back up.

Expensive options but they are handy when you need them. The feeder, and the smart stand, are massive, so thats something to keep in consideration.

Is Pertici gone now too? Their Univer feeders were a step above Steff. I'm not sure that at least some of the Steff parts are now Chinese. They used to rebadge certain feeders from Comatic. The new Comatic DC style are the way to go if buying new. I found a like new Univer for $500 or I'd have one. I like the old Elu feeders as well. Dave

Both of the power feeders on my shapers are made by Comatic. I have one four wheel rebadged Delta and one rebadged King Industrial ,both have worked well after getting new rollers from western roller.

what durometer wheels 70 or 80? one material mostly or ?