Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this SCMi T130 Shaper?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Here's a Shaper for sale for the same price in Utah:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65500394

LOL, that more typically of what is out there. Small shaper that maybe works, little rusty, missing some parts - $750. At least it’s well lit photos and there isn’t years of dust and crap on the machine. That’s actually more typical

Also, I think the OP just got it shipped through part of OR and not across the country?
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, whoops. Got my responses, etc mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    You got it LTL shipped across the country for $200? That's seems like a steal.
    I believe the shaper was shipped from Bend, OR to Portland, OR which is about 200 miles. Which is still quite a good deal.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-12-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Your correct.. only about 200 miles for shipping. My VW can’t tow 1100 lbs and even if it could after I factor in; fuel, rental of truck or trailer, a day of earning lost and the added stress.. I think $200 is a steal!

🤞🏼 It arrives tomorrow, doesn’t matter much tho.. still need to replace bearings and buy collets

What brand of collets do you all like?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Renner View Post
    Your correct.. only about 200 miles for shipping. My VW can’t tow 1100 lbs and even if it could after I factor in; fuel, rental of truck or trailer, a day of earning lost and the added stress.. I think $200 is a steal!

🤞🏼 It arrives tomorrow, doesn’t matter much tho.. still need to replace bearings and buy collets

What brand of collets do you all like?
    I don't think the collets are going to be a easy find short of a custom spindle or locating a used one if they ever existed.

The beast has landed!

I knew the dimensions but that did not prepare me for how massive it is.. I could curl up for a nap on that cast iron!

I was late for dinner so I had to run once we had it unloaded so I forgot to measure the spindle, looks like 1-1/4” to me, although it’s covered up in my photo by a dc fitting

so if it is a standard size, who’s cutters should I be looking at?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Christopher Renner; 11-13-2021 at 2:17 AM.

Blog Entries
    The beast has landed!

I knew the dimensions but that did not prepare me for how massive it is.. I could curl up for a nap on that cast iron!

I was late for dinner so I had to run once we had it unloaded so I forgot to measure the spindle, looks like 1-1/4” to me, although it’s covered up in my photo by a dc fitting

Rangate. Whitehill.

Blog Entries
    The beast has landed!

I've been happy with amana insert heads (rebate blocks, groovers. 40mm euro blocks) I have a bunch of CMT heads that I picked up for about 25% of retail. They are decent but I'm not sure I would pay full retail on them.

Titan (import) makes decent corrugated heads.

Freeborn if you want brazed carbide.

What are you looking to make?

The brands suggested by Mike and Jared are good. Buy as needed. Your investment in cutters will rapidly surpass what you have in the machine. I have three cope and stick sets, Euro block, corrugated back head, matched tenon cutters, a Freeborn lock miter set (the best imo), stacking groover set, a couple of raised panel cutters, rabbeting head, segmented flush cutter, a number of half and quarter rounds, an adjustable angle chamfer head, among others- it adds up. Replaceable indexed cutters are a good investment in the long run. If you don't have one get a power feeder.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 11-13-2021 at 9:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Have you used a shaper? Even if you have, I can't recommend Alpine Workshop's Advanced Joinery class enough.

https://alpineworkshops.com

It is taught by Joe Calhoon (ultimate Joe) who posts here from time to time. Pay attention to his posts -- he really knows what he's talking about!
    Last edited by Mike King; 11-13-2021 at 9:36 AM.

Thank you gentlemen! It needs some tlc before use and I need to keep working. This new shop is 🤑 🤑 🤑

First project for the shaper is in January, bunch of bead & cove for a cedar soaking tub, have a few of those to make next year. I like to make my own ship lap and I would love to use it for tenons but without a crosscut sled that seems quite dangerous. Plenty of other applications as well. I’m not a cabinet maker so the only raised panels I’ll be making will be by hand…doss that make me a masochist? 🙃

I’m looking for a good power feeder, something that deserves to be attached to this behemoth, so far I’m considering the Felder F 48 four roller, it’s $1500 but I think Felder is worth it. I love my AD 741!

I used to work in the boat world so I’ve used shapers plenty, lots of pattern stuff without a fence.. that will wake you up in the morning!

I I were looking to buy a new feeder I would try to get this one - > https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...variable-speed

More than the Felder you mentioned, but I have seen some videos and it looks amazingly convenient and quick to set up and adjust.

I have a shear cutting rabbeting block from Amana that I really like and use all the time. It was around $250, I think. Adjustable groover are nice to have as well. Whitehill is also a very solid brand with a lot of options. So is Rangate. So many options for shaper cutters and heads.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    I I were looking to buy a new feeder I would try to get this one - > https://www.shopgearinc.com/products...variable-speed

More than the Felder you mentioned, but I have seen some videos and it looks amazingly convenient and quick to set up and adjust.

I have a shear cutting rabbeting block from Amana that I really like and use all the time. It was around $250, I think. Adjustable groover are nice to have as well. Whitehill is also a very solid brand with a lot of options. So is Rangate. So many options for shaper cutters and heads.
    Definitely go with the smart stand!!!! Not really a workable option on my CF741, but you have a dedicated shaper and you will not regret getting the smart stand!!!

Blog Entries
    FYI, there's a lot of professional cabinet, window, and door makers who come to Joe's workshops...

Mike

We have two of the Comatic DC40's with smart stands. They are the bomb but they hurt real bad on the wallet region. The gain in horizontal/vertical swap over time and the variable speed is hard to get over once youve used it. If I were just running pretty much fixed speed work all the time on a machine I'd go with that comatic AF72 style feeder that is the same as the felder. If you are leaning towards the felder for cost you can shop around because that style feeder is pretty much the same under numerous brands.