Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this SCMi T130 Shaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Renner View Post
    Ahh well I’ll be there Tuesday or Thursday, still feels like too long a wait...

But they have been gracious enough to hold it for me. I am apparently the only person showing real interest so they removed the listing and are waiting till I can come down this week. My favorite kind of people!
    Super of them! There are still standup people out there. I'd say you will be the new owner unless it's a train wreck when you get there.

When I was picking up my RAS they confirmed they were holding it for you.

I decided it’s worth it to just have them crate it and have it shipped, it would be a long day to go down and take care of it myself. Less stress and I can keep workin. Doesn’t feel like a much of a gamble..

On another note, the manual says spindle diameter from 30 1” 1/4 - 34 - 40 - 50

Does this mean it takes multiple spindle sizes? What collet size should I purchase?

I’ll wait until it arrives before buying to confirm. What maker or supplier do you folks recommend?

Do you know what size spindle(s) are with the machine currently? You can change out spindles on a shaper, but it needs to be the exact right one with proper taper/length, etc. I think the 130 model have a MT5 (Morse taper) on the bottom on the shaft that mounts in the machine.

When I bought my smaller SCM shaper it showed up with a 1” spindle, which I was able to use for a little while with bushings with a 1 1/4” block, but I’d say you really want an 1 1/4” diameter spindle as a standard and anything else is gravy. It took me a couple of months of searching and a few WTB ads to track down the proper 1 1/4” spindle secondhand and I was lucky to find it the way I did.

I think parts and donor machines in the T110 and T130 family are much more common than my little T100.
    Still waters run deep.

I’ve used a couple of them in employments and I do not like them. The spindles were wavy, never seen that anywhere else except the clay
    on a potter’s wheel. It was hard to clamp on needed shop made fences because the table did not have much hang over the machine base.
    No doubt some would call that a “safety feature “. And there were a bunch of pieces to the thing I had never seen before . Didn’t use ‘em.

Blog Entries
    I decided it’s worth it to just have them crate it and have it shipped, it would be a long day to go down and take care of it myself. Less stress and I can keep workin. Doesn’t feel like a much of a gamble..

On another note, the manual says spindle diameter from 30 1” 1/4 - 34 - 40 - 50

Does this mean it takes multiple spindle sizes? What collet size should I purchase?

I’ll wait until it arrives before buying to confirm. What maker or supplier do you folks recommend?
    It looks* like a 1.25" in the picture.

You can get other sizes but 1. New they will cost more than you paid for the machine. 2. Not much demand for 30/40/50mm spindles in the US. If you currently don't have any shaper tooling just buy 1.25" bore heads.

If you want a router bit collet, you may want to inquire if they are available from scmi.

At $800 it is indeed a no brainer. I recently bought a Powermatic model 26 in excellent condition for $800. The 26 is nowhere near the machine that you purchased. As another poster said, they are usually in the area of $3500 around the Phila. area.

I have found a used SCMi T130 Shaper for sale and am curious what others experience is with this machine. Does it warrant a 8 hr round way trip to inspect/purchase. It’s priced at $800 without cutter heads, the seller says it whines so new bearings and a new pigtail are needed.

This would be my first shaper, so I’m not exactly sure what to look for if I go inspect it.

It does not have the slider feature, is this something that can it be added and is it even sold separately?

I mainly plan to use it tor edge profiles, but it would be great to set it up for tenons as well. I know shapers are quite versatile so tell me what else you are using them for in your shop?

Thank you
    Christopher,

Just curious if your new to you shaper has arrived yet?

When setting the spindle, you do have to be careful to bottom out the taper. It is possible to turn the collar nut and think the spindle is bedded when it isn't, causing runout. Dave

Sometimes the O rings get torn up and not replaced and sometimes the spindles are just put in wrong. Some hacks like the spindles put in
    so that they are difficult to remove…..while other hacks like to see them unwind and come out of machine while it’s running. The collar around
    the spindle needs to be positioned correctly before putting in in the machine. Replace the O ring BEFORE it falls apart. Couple of times Ive
    seen companies have to call in a machinist to remove too tight spindles.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-02-2021 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Too many too s

Great info gentleman, thank you

It arrives Monday!

Cool, I look forwards to hearing your impression of it?

Do you feel comfortable sharing how much the shipping cost? All the deals I find are always in the Portland area. Lol!

Crossed some wires about the pickup/drop off. So it was picked up Monday, delivery is hopefully Thursday or Friday..

Definitely why shipping was under $200

Blog Entries
    You got it LTL shipped across the country for $200? That's seems like a steal.

Blog Entries
    Here's a Shaper for sale for the same price in Utah:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/65500394