Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollowing systems questions

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I had one a long time before it became a Tim Yoder Elbow. It was the first hollowing system I had. I didn't like it, as I recall it moved too freely and I didn't like attaching it to my tail stock. If you are on a budget, for my money the best system would be to would a Jamieson system.
    What was it about attaching to the tailstock that you did not like, Peter? i believe the newer versions are built better. The Jamison is excellent but still requires reaching out across the lathe and I am trying to minimize that.So that is one reason I am enamored with the articulating systems.

I just didn't like clamping it to the cylinder of my tail stock, I was thinking it might scratch it. I too like an articulating type and use me Kobra almost all the time. You now have me thinking about doing a bowl with it to see how well that would work. Sure does save on my old beat up body. Oh the Elbo, it was a very long time ago and one of the first versions. I seem to remember that there was a bit of a problem with it not staying flat because the joint bearings were too loose but if I tightened them then it didn't move well. I did think at the time that I could have made a post base for it so I didn't have to use the tail stock cylinder. I must apologize as I have not looked at any improvements may have been made since Tim took it over.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I bought an Elbo system from Tim a few years ago and it thankfully doesn't suffer from any play or looseness in its joints. Nice to see a product improving over time!

Attaching it to the tailstock can occasionally be a bit fussy but works fine once it's in place. I think that it's a well-built tool that offers great value for its price point.

Years ago, I had the chance to discuss the design of the Elbo with its inventor. I asked him why he used the tailstock to anchor the tool. He gave two reasons: First, (virtually) every lathe has a tailstock and it would be hard for him to make something as sturdy that fit every lathe on the market. Second, by using the tailstock ram, the Elbo was automatically at center height. He thought this made it much easier to set up. If he'd made a post that attached to the bed of the lathe, the user would have to clamp the Elbo Tool at center height, which could take some fiddling. (Once set, you shouldn't need to adjust it again -- unless moving the tool to another lathe.) My take: Setting up a tool this way isn't difficult, but using the tailstock is still easier.

The inventor attended as a vendor a local symposium, which is where I was able to chat with him. Over five or six years, I saw constant improvement to the Elbo Tool. Although the basic design remained the same, it was a much better tool at the end of this period than when I first saw it. I never ended up buying the Elbo -- entirely because it required use of the tailstock. I had a short-bed lathe and there simply wasn't enough room between centers for the Elbo Tool and whatever I wanted to hollow. I would have been limited to hollowing vessels no more than 4" deep. (For the same reason, a Jamieson-style captured bar system wouldn't work for me. Simply not enough length on my lathe's bed. Yes, I know that I could have built a floor stand to support the end of a captured bar hollowing rig, but there wasn't much floor space off the end of my lathe, either.) I ended up with the Monster articulated arm system. It's worked well for me.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Since the Monster system is no longer being manufactured I think I will put the Elbo hollowing system on my Christmas list. Thank you all for your insights and observations.

My friend in West Virginia has a McNaghten system for sale at 1/2 price he will post here as soon as he gets approved. Good way to start.