Hello,

I was wondering what I can do about water based dyes bleeding through my topcoat. Last year I made a coffee table and used a water based dye (transfast) to match our dinning set. I then sprayed it with General's water based polyurethane top coat. I used my hvlp and did about 5 coats as I have little kids and wanted lots of protection. My wife noticed whenever she wipes the table down with a wet cloth some of the red dye comes off on the cloth. It isn't a big deal as it's just a little.
20210112_175342.jpg

Well this week I made her a plant stand to go into the living room next to the table.
20211016_180424.jpg

She wanted it to match the coffee table so I found my dye and dyed it to match. I then proceeded to put a few coats of the same poly on top before I remembered the issue with the dye bleeding through when wet. Sure enough after wiping the stand with a damp cloth it bled through.
20211021_091321.jpg

I don't want to leave the stand as is because if it gets wet that red will transfer to the white flower pot and ruin the clean look. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to make sure the red stays where it is. I was going to pick up a can of shellac and give that a try but looks like everywhere locally is sold out. I don't think more coats of poly would work as my previous table had so many coats sprayed on and it still bled through.

Any ideas would be appreciated.