Thread: Battery Adapterrs for power tools

Blog Entries

Battery Adapterrs for power tools

In doing some battery research today, I discovered that there are adapters that can convert a different brand battery, say DeWalt, for use on Festool or other brands. Has anyone used these? Some of the adapters can be had for less than $20. Sure would be nice to only have a few batteries plus adapters that can run other brands tools/
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I have one that allows my Makita 18V batteries to be used on Ryobi tools. I bought an inexpensive Ryobi 18 GA brad nailer and use Makita batteries.

Handy to have, but nailer is heavy and I don't use it often.

The adapter works well, but it adds an inch to the height of the battery. Got mine at Amazon, about $24 or so.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have a Dewalt adapter that allows a 20v Dewalt battery to be used in an 18v Dewalt tool. Seems to work well, but it is really hard to get out of the tool when done for some reason. Arthritus in my hand doesn't help either.

I have not looked into adapters as there wouldn't be any application for me given every one of my different drill/drivers is a different voltage configuration. But I can see that having them available could be a good thing in some cases. Because of the added bulk and change in tool balance because of the heavy battery being offset from normal position, I think I'd have to think twice about "regular use", but they could be the saving grace for circumstances where a charged battery for the tool brand isn't available but one is for another brand and there's still work to do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have an adapter that allows me to use a Dewalt 20v battery to power an old Ryobi caulking gun. I picked up up from ebay, someone 3d printed it. Works fine. I don't use the caulking gun all that often but when I do it is so nice and makes any caulking, construction adhesive job easier. It would be kind of hard to fork over $300+ for a Dewalt caulking gun and the Ryobi NiCad battery is dead. If I wanted to upgrade to a LithIon Ryobi battery I would also have to upgrade the charger which isn't worth it for the 1 Ryobi battery powered tool I own.

I also have the Dewalt adapters to run 18v NiCad tools with 20v LithIon Dewalt batteries. Everyone is switching over to the 20v Dewalts so I have been buying up used 18v Dewalts for dirt cheap. There are a lot of battery powered tools that I don't need but are sure nice to have which the old 18v tools are perfect for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I have a Dewalt adapter that allows a 20v Dewalt battery to be used in an 18v Dewalt tool. Seems to work well, but it is really hard to get out of the tool when done for some reason. Arthritus in my hand doesn't help either.
    I bought some of those adapters and LIon batteries when they were introduced. Mine are also difficult to remove and I have plenty of hand strength. I looked at the catches and think they could be modified. I’ll try to do that and let you know if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I bought some of those adapters and LIon batteries when they were introduced. Mine are also difficult to remove and I have plenty of hand strength. I looked at the catches and think they could be modified. I’ll try to do that and let you know if it works.
    I concur. I wonder if they are trying to inspire us to buy one adapter per tool. They also have one extra tab that blocks flex volt batteries, which is easily removed with no apparent issues. Probably lawyer proofing something.

I have one adapter that will let me use my Milwaukee M18 batteries on my V18 tools. The V18 tools still work like a dream but batteries are now near impossible to come by or too over priced to be reasonable.
    In reality I should get one for each tool to be more practical but I haven't needed to yet.