Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry, garnet shellac, topcoat,...

Thanks Jim, Paul, and John for the initial gun settings. I have a few bottles of Transtint on hand to test. Might have to buy more sealcoat but it is fairly easy to find.

If there is no wind I can easily set up a 3 sided booth in my garage and open the big door on the 4th side for ventilation.
    Mark McFarlane

SealCoat and Transtint is an awesome tool in the bucket for toning without the challenges that sometimes come from using dye and/or stain on certain boards. The singular downside is that the color is largely "on the surface", but that would really only become evident if something was abused on purpose or used very, very heavily and is subjected to physical damage.

As an aside, I use the same transtint technique with waterborne clear on my guitar projects to do things like alter color or spray bursts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone for the help on this project. I sprayed the garnet shellac today. Came out beautiful.

There is no way I could have wiped-on these 4 large pieces and received the same consistency, so thanks again for coercing me to go this way .

Now for a couple thin coats of arm-r-seal satin and this soffit gets installed.

66119660769__BA5D8364-7A69-4021-9C32-9559600FDD26.jpg66119325809__50647CAF-05E4-4E32-9AE5-B455E29C6DE9.jpg
    Mark McFarlane

Glad to see it worked out well for you Mark. Once you start spraying shellac it's a game changer.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    Wow, look at the figure in that ply! Nicely done. Great thread I'm sure I'm going to refer back to.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Which HF spray gun; is it this one? Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 5.52.53 PM.jpg

Thanks,
    Phil

One of the nicest things about spraying shellac is that you can get a nice, thin coating (the way shellac was meant to be) so it can do its thing effectively without the challenge and learning curve that comes with hand-applying it, especially on large surfaces.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Glover View Post
    Which HF spray gun; is it this one? Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 5.52.53 PM.jpg

Thanks,
    Phil
    Phil,

I used this one specifically:https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...tor-62381.html. <$30 with a pressure regulator attached at the gun. I used about 30lbs of pressure according to that meter.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Glad to see it worked out well for you Mark. Once you start spraying shellac it's a game changer.

John
    Yes, I can see that being the case John. Super easy to spray. Setting up a temp booth to spray in is a different story. It does dry really fast so outdoors may be the trick in the future, but it was foggy humid today.
    Mark McFarlane

I've tried Amber shellac on a few different woods as tests and didn't like it much, but garnet shellac on cherry is pretty awesome.

FWIW, for these large sheets of plywood I just cut, ROS sanded to 220, vacuumed, wiped, and sprayed. Hand scratched the surface with 320 and got the first coat of arm-r-seal satin on. One more light sand and a thin coat of Arm-r-seal in the morning and I am done.

These plywood panels are non-touch surfaces, they are for a 22' long soffit.
    Mark McFarlane

Just be sure you are using wax free shellac if you intend to use finishes containing polyurethane or waterbornes to top coat. This will help insure proper adhesion.
    --

IMG_6184.jpg

Thanks Jim. Wax free shellac flakes used.
    Mark McFarlane

Phil,

I used this one specifically:https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...tor-62381.html. <$30 with a pressure regulator attached at the gun. I used about 30lbs of pressure according to that meter.
    I've used that gun, or one just like it, from HF. It has a 1.4 mm N/N set. It sprays shellac great, as Mark showed. It also will spray any low viscosity product really well, including waterbornes like TC's EM-6000 and GF's Enduro Clear Poly. And with just a little fiddling you could put a pressurized 3M PPS cup on top and have a very versatile outfit capable of spraying most anything. The seals in that gun will give out after a couple of years of regular use, but the gun w/o regulator cost less than $15 so it's low cost to replace. You need a compressor capable of at least 6 cfm at 40 psi to run it. I set the gun regulator to 29 psi for most products.

John

Blog Entries
    I didn't sand my test well, it was straight off the drum sander at 150 grit. I was in a hurry to see what the Garnett Shellac did.
    This is a recurring boo-boo in our world. If you want to know what it will really look like you have to follow the same prep protocol on your test boards as on your piece. It's something we all know and it's hard to soldier through sometimes but to prevent unpleasant surprises we have to take a little time .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've used that gun, or one just like it, from HF. It has a 1.4 mm N/N set. It sprays shellac great, as Mark showed. It also will spray any low viscosity product really well, including waterbornes like TC's EM-6000 and GF's Enduro Clear Poly. And with just a little fiddling you could put a pressurized 3M PPS cup on top and have a very versatile outfit capable of spraying most anything. The seals in that gun will give out after a couple of years of regular use, but the gun w/o regulator cost less than $15 so it's low cost to replace. You need a compressor capable of at least 6 cfm at 40 psi to run it. I set the gun regulator to 29 psi for most products.
    John,

That is very helpful.

Thanks,
    Phil