Thread: PM's disappeared?

PM's disappeared?

I engaged in a discussion via private messages over the last several days with another SMC member. Today all traces of that discussion are gone, both the messages that I received as well as the ones I sent. How can that happen?

I could imagine the sender being able to delete a message, but what about the messages I wrote? Can one party in a discussion delete both sides of the conversation?

Blog Entries
    I know of nothing other than an accidental deletion by you that could have caused this. Have you checked with the various correspondents to see if they have the old messages? If they send you a reply to your prior messages, you should get most of the previous texts as part of the reply.

Please advise Keith if you have any more issues with this.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That's a mystery. I also can't think of anything that would erase messages you had received.

For the messages you wrote and sent, do you normally see those in your "Sent" folder? This has to be turned on in General Settings / Messaging and Notification / Private Messaging / Sent Private Messages: "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default"

OK, I think I understand now. There is a completely separate, semi-linked, PM system that show up on a tab labeled "Visitor Messages" on one's profile page. It contains both the received and sent messages that I was missing. New messages sent there cause an alert in the same "notifications" box at the top of the page, but when you click on the new message notice it takes you to this "visitor message" page rather than to your inbox. There's no way I see to find these "visitor messages" from your Inbox.

Why I'd need or want two independent places for PMs, I have no idea, but they are no longer lost.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    OK, I think I understand now. There is a completely separate, semi-linked, PM system that show up on a tab labeled "Visitor Messages" on one's profile page. It contains both the received and sent messages that I was missing. New messages sent there cause an alert in the same "notifications" box at the top of the page, but when you click on the new message notice it takes you to this "visitor message" page rather than to your inbox. There's no way I see to find these "visitor messages" from your Inbox.

Why I'd need or want two independent places for PMs, I have no idea, but they are no longer lost.
    Good info, thanks!

Edit: I haven't looked at that tab in years but I looked just now and I found some old messages. But mine were just received messages; I don't see the replies I sent.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-25-2021 at 9:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    ... a completely separate, semi-linked, PM system that show up on a tab labeled "Visitor Messages" ...
    "Visitor Messages" are not private. They all show up in 'What's New?' (Activity Stream).

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    "Visitor Messages" are not private. They all show up in 'What's New?' (Activity Stream).
    OK, I actually have no idea what they are. They just behaved similarly to PM's from my point of view.