Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How fine do *you* sharpen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Trouble with a dedicated sharpening station is the prime real estate it needs. Not an option in my 250 sq ft shop

And can you really leave the water stones in water for years?
    My stones, mostly Norton and a King, seem to have no problem with being left in the water.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    No matter what method you use or what micron or grit level you want to achieve, make a dedicated sharpening station.
    If the sharpening supplies are readily available to use, most people are more apt to do it more often.
    This is the truth. My workshop is half of my 2 car garage... floor space is at a premium. But every time I need to touch something up I lament the lack of a sharpening station. I have a little stand I built between the water softener and sink. But it is too flimsy for sharpening. (And it gets used a lot for non wood working things in conjunction with the sink).

But I'm going to try to find a minimalist space near the sink to make this happen. May cut into my scrap wood storage "area". But probably worth it.

Blog Entries
    But I'm going to try to find a minimalist space near the sink to make this happen.
    Erich, do you use water stones?

If so could you make a small table to go over the sink to hold your equipment and a shelf to stow it?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've found oil stones a great option to reduce the need for dedicated sharpening station. Once you have your 2 or three stones in boxes, you can pull them out and sharpen almost anywhere with a bit of oil.

1500 grit, then the unicorn....back of the iron is flat...test drive on a slab of Ash...
    Gene's No. 4, Shavings of Ash.JPG
    I think that will do for me....slab is glass smooth, now.
    Gene's No. 4, glass smooth Ash.JPG
    Black arrow was done on the computer, to show grain direction. Plane is a Type 11 Stanley No.4
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    I've found oil stones a great option to reduce the need for dedicated sharpening station. Once you have your 2 or three stones in boxes, you can pull them out and sharpen almost anywhere with a bit of oil.
    I've also found that a couple of oilstones and strop are almost always all I need to get a chisel or iron honed, right on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    This is the truth. My workshop is half of my 2 car garage... floor space is at a premium. But every time I need to touch something up I lament the lack of a sharpening station. I have a little stand I built between the water softener and sink. But it is too flimsy for sharpening. (And it gets used a lot for non wood working things in conjunction with the sink).

But I'm going to try to find a minimalist space near the sink to make this happen. May cut into my scrap wood storage "area". But probably worth it.
    Another reason for my settling on oilstones...

My sharpening station has always been a few stones that come out of the drawer, plop on top of the workbench, and go straight to sharpening with a few drops of light mineral oil. Oil so light is neither messy nor annoying to use.

Jnats and splash and go waterstones are almost as good, but still messier than oil and want for a sink nearby... but a sink is not strictly necessary when using them, at least.

Edit: Oh hey, I see several other people also made this observation.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 11-04-2021 at 1:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    Another reason for my settling on oilstones...

My sharpening station has always been a few stones that come out of the drawer, plop on top of the workbench, and go straight to sharpening with a few drops of light mineral oil. Oil so light is neither messy nor annoying to use.

Jnats and splash and go waterstones are almost as good, but still messier than oil and want for a sink nearby... but a sink is not strictly necessary when using them, at least.

Edit: Oh hey, I see several other people also made this observation.

Keep a box of very fine poplar shavings around. After honing with your oilstones, grab a handful and scrub your hands and fingertips down with the shavings. Cleans better than soap and water. You'll never get an oily smudge on a project again, I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    Keep a box of very fine poplar shavings around. After honing with your oilstones, grab a handful and scrub your hands and fingertips down with the shavings. Cleans better than soap and water. You'll never get an oily smudge on a project again, I guarantee it.
    I usually keep paper towels handy, but I'll have to try that!