Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phase Perfect Transformer Noise

Derek,

I just purchased a brand new PP PTE010R in August. I heard that they made noise that may not be tolerable for me. So, I decided to install it outside. I am really glad I did. It is not an OSHA issue, but it would bother me. I have a nice setup for a TV and surround sound (because I am crazy!) so I just did not want to risk it.

I agree with the sizzling bacon comment to describe the sound. The "Thump" right after turn on is to protect your equipment. The PP makes sure you have all three legs producing before connecting power.

PK

I almost went with two to get rid of my 50hp RPC, until I heard that noise at a friends shop. The RPC did fine but I hate the noise, but not as much as I hated the PP noise. So I had a company make me a remote control setup for my RPC and carry the remote in my pocket.

If you stop and look at what a Roto is with some logic you get that it is a fail for noise before you turn it on. Thin microphonic sheet metal panels with screws to hold them together and a bunch of parts inside that. Its a microphonic speaker cabinet of a box.

Then attach that to a motor that is running. My roto never made much noise, sometimes it buzzed, I put my hand on the metal and it was five times quieter. When I have time I will line the whole metal cabinet and removable door with Dux seal and the change will be dramatic. Its a good manufacturer gone now with a big honking old school motor, smooth and quiet as hell. The metal cabinets are the issue.

My PP has a NEMA3 enclosure so it can be located outside and out of ear shot. The PP has the ability to be switched on remotely as a standard feature. It is not remote, but I use a standard wall switch next to my saw to turn it on before starting the saw. BTW for some of the newer equipment with digital controls, many are suggesting PP instead of RPC's because of the tight tolerances of voltage between the 3 legs. I do not have the ability to argue the point, I just took the advice.

With my remote setup, I cannot hear the PP at all in the shop.

PK
    PKwoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J Kelly View Post
    My PP has a NEMA3 enclosure so it can be located outside and out of ear shot. The PP has the ability to be switched on remotely as a standard feature. It is not remote, but I use a standard wall switch next to my saw to turn it on before starting the saw. BTW for some of the newer equipment with digital controls, many are suggesting PP instead of RPC's because of the tight tolerances of voltage between the 3 legs. I do not have the ability to argue the point, I just took the advice.

With my remote setup, I cannot hear the PP at all in the shop.

PK
    PKwoodworking
    I have a NEMA 3R enclosure, but I mentioned in an earlier post I would get complaints from my neighbors if I located it outside. Its a great idea if you have space to build a power room, or you can put outside without getting complaints though.

Am I just not hearing the noise on my PTE010R, or is my hearing that bad?

When everything is off in the shop, and the Phase Perfect's fan is running I can hear the fan, and I can hear the relay clicking on once, but otherwise, I just don't hear mine.

Are the larger units much noisier?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The phase perfect technology is much like a VFD. The generate a high pitch whine. The older you get the softer it is.

My 10hp PP makes the same noise, i have it up in the attic space of the garage. I’d go nuts if it was in the shop, incidentally it makes great bacon…