Thread: One way banjo on Robust

One way banjo on Robust

Wondering if anyone has used a Oneway banjo on a Robust lathe.
    Doug Olsen

It may be difficult, but it's not impossible.

I don't doubt that it would work just fine, but why? The Robust banjo is just as well made as the Oneway...what's the benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I don't doubt that it would work just fine, but why? The Robust banjo is just as well made as the Oneway...what's the benefit?
    I agree and am trying to understand, I read about someone who uses the Oneway on his Robust. I question the wisdom of doing so and I'm guessing it is not common. Curious.
    Doug Olsen

It may be difficult, but it's not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Olsen;[URL="tel:3149199"
    3149199[/URL]] I question the wisdom of doing so and I'm guessing it is not common. Curious.
    There are those who feel the Oneway banjo is the best thing since sliced bread...I've used both and find them both to be good, solid pieces of equipment. Full disclosure - I've been turning on a Robust AB for 9 years. I do like being able to switch the tool rest lock to either side when needed, but, other than that, why spend the money just to change the banjo from unbelievably great to fabulously great? I did turn on a Jet for several years and got used to the banjo moving around when I least expected it...but neither of these is in that league.
    Last edited by Jeffrey J Smith; 10-19-2021 at 5:57 PM.

I put a Oneway banjo on my Robust Liberty. I got tired of having to stick my finger in the toolset hole to align the locking clamps. My lady friend also has a Robust Liberty and she likes the Robust banjo. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Joe

I prefer the locking wedges on the Robust, but like Joe said, having to line them up is a pain some times. I think the 3520C fixed that problem. Not sure if Robust did the same. I can't remember for sure, but I think Oneway has a different handle to tighten the tool rest in place. The cheap pot metal spring loaded handles are going to fail, when, not if. The softer metal against the hard set pin/screw will wear out. Had a custom one made for my old 3520A after the second cheap handle wore out. Used a through rod and a bigger diameter post, like the bench vices use. Much better and it doesn't wear out. When the handle on my Beauty wore out, I put a small pair of vice grips on it. The teeth in the vice grips matches the gear knobs on the Robust almost perfectly.

robo hippy

I have the Oneway banjo on my Grizzly. Now that was an improvement. More reach, smoother and better quality. The price for the whole lathe was not an option.