Thread: Performax drum sander adjustment

Performax drum sander adjustment

I have an older Performax 22-44 that I had to fabricate a motor mount bracket. When I put everything back together, now I can’t adjust the table up. Notice both of the aluminum brackets on both side of the table bracket have set screws (see pic). Both of the these brackets freely slide up and down the threaded rod.. The thing is, if I turn the threaded rod to raise the table, the lower bracket seems to have some “slop” in how it fits on the large tube and it binds a bit. Also, since it is only supported on one side by the threaded rod, I’m worried that it’s going to bend or break on that side. For the record, nothing is siezed up and is lubricated and everything does move (just not up),so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong here. Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of these 3 legged performax's. Your motor mount looks OK. Are the bolts on either side loose that slide in the U-slot? Nothing can be tight that connects the motor mount and the table mount. Your pictures aren't from the right angle to see. Inked7AA44E53-10C2-4520-B093-D2A8F8F6F244_LI.jpg

If you’re talking about these bolts that ride up and down in the slot, then yes they are loose.

Yes that's the ones. Not sure what else it could be. Do have a manual that tells how to adjust the set screws and everything. I have one.

I don’t have the part of the manual that tells how to adjust the set screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Coss View Post
    I don’t have the part of the manual that tells how to adjust the set screws.
    I didn't look for that one but I've always been able to find manuals I needed with an on-line search.

PM your address I'll send it to you. The set screws are set so they lightly drag against the column, just enough to stop the side slop. From the pictures your adjusting screw handle is too high and the lower bracket that the adjusting screw terminates at is too high. Lower the bottom bracket to make the handle flush on top. When you are raising the table it needs to put down pressure right below the adjustment handle, and up pressure on the lower bracket vise when lowering. Try that. Inked7AA44E53- .jpg

I think I see the problem, the table support on the column goes up and down with the screw. It should have a couple of set screws you set lightly to control slop. The thinner lower bracket and middle bracket are supposed to be fixed in place tightly with the set screws. They don't move. You can see on the column round marks where they used to be.

Pm sent………………….

That ended up working, thank you.

Blog Entries
    I see you found the solution to your issue.
    I'm curious about how flat (thickness variation from one side to the other) do you see with this sander?

I also have a Performax 22-44. It seems no matter what I do to try to compensate for the variation I still end up with a thickness along the width of around 0.010"-0.015". This doesn't sound like much but can be very noticeable.

I haven’t really checked, but that’s a good point. Actually, I need to adjust it again because somehow the open end is WAY off from the closed end. Seems like every time I use this machine, there’s always something I have to adjust; it’s very finicky. I’m seriously thinking about just selling it and getting a thickness sander that’s fixed on both ends and maybe one that uses velcro to attach the sandpaper to the drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    I see you found the solution to your issue.
    I'm curious about how flat (thickness variation from one side to the other) do you see with this sander?

I also have a Performax 22-44. It seems no matter what I do to try to compensate for the variation I still end up with a thickness along the width of around 0.010"-0.015". This doesn't sound like much but can be very noticeable.
    I also have a 22-44.

Most of what I use mine for is for smaller stock, maybe 7-10" squares a 2-3" thick for woodturning stock and I haven't seen any variation I can measure over these smaller pieces. I mostly use coarse paper and take light passes. Of course, for the narrower turning stock a small variation isn't significant. I set mine up once and have never touched the adjustment since. I remember the instructions being confusing, even misleading.

When you say you see a variation of 10 to 15 thousandths along the width do you mean the one side is thicker than the other or do you mean there is variation somewhere in the middle of a 22" wide board even if both sides are equal thickness? Or something else.

Since this thing is supported on just one end I can imagine some play or flexing at the supported end having an effect, especially with heavier passes.

I could check some wider veneer I've sanded and look for variation.

JKJ