Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD card missing pictures

SD card missing pictures

It seem I'm missing some picture I took on my SD card. The missing ones are in between the beginning and ending pictures. anyone else have this happen or have an explanation as to Y there missing?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Did they get saved to your phone's internal memory rather than the SD card?

no they were taken with a DSLR
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Some cameras also have internal memory, maybe yours does?

no internal memory DSLR's have no internal memory
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

The SD card in my phone failed. It started out with files vanishing and eventually died. Some makers offer an app that is supposed to be able to recover the files. It didn't work for me. If I were you, I would get a new card before it fails hard.

Yep, new card formatted in the camera.

Were you ever able to see them on the card? If so, and if you have a card reader for your PC, you may be able to recover them. I've had good luck with Recuva. You can find it here:

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    Were you ever able to see them on the card? If so, and if you have a card reader for your PC, you may be able to recover them. I've had good luck with Recuva. You can find it here:

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

No I never saw these particular pictures. Like I said there were pictures taken before and after these shots.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    no internal memory DSLR's have no internal memory
    Um, yeah, they do: there's an internal buffer to allow them to shoot faster than the write speed of the SD card (e.g. high-speed bursts).

Normally you can't turn off the camera while it's transferring from the buffer to SD, but I've seen it happen a couple times on one of my older Canons, and it gives the exact kind of break in the numbering that you describe.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

there may be a buffer but they don't store pictures from the web No Canon DSLR has internal memory to be able to take shots without a memory card
    also it wasn't just one picture I lost about 5 all taken at the same time and place.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 10-22-2021 at 7:16 PM.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    there may be a buffer but they don't store pictures from the web No Canon DSLR has internal memory to be able to take shots without a memory card
    also it wasn't just one picture I lost about 5 all taken at the same time and place.
    The internal buffer does not "store" pictures, but it is indeed memory. Think of it as RAM if that works any better for you.

And typically during a burst-mode shot there can be multiple pictures in the buffer, waiting to be written to the SD card. The number can be anywhere from 1 to the max burst length (check your camera's manual), depending on their size (raw vs JPEG), how fast the SD card is, and how far the camera gets ahead of the SD card's write speed. If pictures are still in the buffer when the camera shuts down, they're gone.

That may be what happened it your case, perhaps not...just presenting a possibility.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    The internal buffer does not "store" pictures, but it is indeed memory. Think of it as RAM if that works any better for you.

And typically during a burst-mode shot there can be multiple pictures in the buffer, waiting to be written to the SD card. The number can be anywhere from 1 to the max burst length (check your camera's manual), depending on their size (raw vs JPEG), how fast the SD card is, and how far the camera gets ahead of the SD card's write speed. If pictures are still in the buffer when the camera shuts down, they're gone.

That may be what happened it your case, perhaps not...just presenting a possibility.

I was taking single shots mins apart from each other , so plenty of time for the pic's to get buffered thru. I also checked the picture numbers and there all in sequence none missing. Its really baffling as to what happened and as you might expect these were particularly important shots. I did download that recovery program. It recovered shots that I had deleted but not those. there were several icons that said unrecoverable .
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I believe I'd start with a new SD card, one from a first tier vendor like Sandisk, Samsung or Lexar. If you're still losing pictures it's likely the camera. SD cards are cheap, start there.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 10-23-2021 at 8:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Go to Verizon or whomever sold your phone. Their technicians can fix it,