Thread: Max width (span) for base cabinets)

Blog Entries

Max width (span) for base cabinets)

Not sure if correct Forum but here goes. Building some base cabinets for the workshop for a miter saw station. What is the max width I could go for cabinet bases? I am thinking 60" but with a partition in the middle allowing approximately 2 sets of 30" wide drawers. Or should I build a single base 30" wide for each set of drawers, (wasted ply?) I will have 70" of cabinets to the left of the saw and 36" to the right. The attached drawing is not mine but for illustrative purposes.

Ashampoo_Snap_Monday, October 18, 2021_20h27m05s_011_.jpg
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    The amount of span depends upon the flatness of the supporting floor and the weight to be placed into the cabinet. In your design of two sets of 30" drawers, all the load in the drawers will be supported by the cabinet ends and the center divider. A 60" cabinet with a lot of weight supported by feet at each corner is likely to sag in the middle over time if the center area isn't being supported by the floor or really strong base structure. The same cabinet with 6 adjustable feet instead of four is much less likely to sag.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute