Thread: Farmhouse Design Ideals????

Farmhouse Design Ideals????

Guys finally my Pad for a concrete slab is finish, so moving towards building forms and underground plumbing. But I am looking at building my house/shop with a farmhouse design. My living space will only be about 1000 sq ft of living space, then the rest will be my shop. The building will be 32'x70'x10ft , so I am looking for some ideals or references to get that exterior Farmhouse feel. I have google You tube but most of those are the interior finish, but I am looking for exterior ideals and little interior finish. Not a bunch flower bases but something along the lines of shiplap siding for the interior and maybe even a metal tin ceiling,etc. This is my last go round for about 1000 sq ft living space so I want to get it right for just wife and I and maybe when grand kids come over. So thanks for any ideals or references to give some ideals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Farm houses exist in virtually every style there is, from bungalows to high Victorian to MCM, so "farmhouse" is not a very helpful term to describe a style. I might recommend the book "A field Guide to American Houses" as a resource to help you better articulate what you are seeking, with many examples of classic American designs.

Of course your best resource will be your architect, who can ensure that you build something that is both functional and meets your aesthetic goals as well as suited to your site.

big long porch

👍That is part of game plan, is to have good porch both on front and on back

This is small scale build, nothing fancy to draw attention of tax assessor. Thinking about batten board siding. I wish metal prices drop cause like have metal roof but at 100.00 per 16’ sheet that’s little much. But considering some used tin for exterior wall where porch is to give it that older farmhouse feel

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    ...so I am looking for some ideals or references to get that exterior Farmhouse feel. ...
    Ideals or ideas? As mentioned, farmhouses comes in every style imaginable from shack to multi-story brick/stone mansions. Perfect for some, unreasonable for others.
    You might drive around the county side and find some that fit our idea of your idea of the ideal style and take photos. If you ask nicely they might let you take some measurements.

My wife grew up in a big farm house with two stories, big kitchen, and three porches - one a big wrap-around porch on the end facing the river. Heat was from fireplaces.
    A friend lives in a tiny one-story farm house, old and quaint. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer.
    Our current farmhouse is a timberframe with from 6x6 to 8x12" exposed timbers, vaulted ceilings, 2-car garage, heat pump, screened porch, sunroom, huge deck.

JKJ

Buy this book: https://www.amazon.com/Get-Your-Hous.../dp/1402791038

Silly title, but very useful information for what you're looking for. It has a lot of stuff that you don't need, but other stuff you want.

edited to add: I built one new house a year for 33 years. I had to design each one, because they needed two fronts. A lake front, and a road front. After buying a bunch of house plan books the first year, I never did find one with two fronts in a book.

I made some design decisions, the first few years, that could have been better. I wish I'd had that book when I first started.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 10-19-2021 at 6:01 PM.

Well heck, didn’t see that ideas is nice which I hope come up with ideal plan.
    Tom putting that book in my cart along with my Bosch Lazer Measure