Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duplex outlet that doesn't point the same way?

The only reason there is a right angle plug on the fridge is so you can push the fridge back tight to the wall without putting a bind on a conventional horizontal plug on the cord. It has ZERO to do with blocking the adjacent receptacle
    Beg to differ but - flat plugs come in all sorts of different styles besides 90*. They also come in an offset so you can plug into both receptacles. Having said that - when was the last time you saw anything other than a right angle 90* on a refrigerator?
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Beg to differ but - flat plugs come in all sorts of different styles besides 90*. They also come in an offset so you can plug into both receptacles. Having said that - when was the last time you saw anything other than a right angle 90* on a refrigerator?
    Never, because especially with modern fridges without coils on the rear you can push the fridge back dead tight to the plug and if you had anything other than an angled plug on the cord you would create a fire hazard pushing the fridge back against the plug sticking straight out from the wall. 45 degree and 90 degree plugs are available for sure but a right angle, vertical drop, cord is the industry standard because its the most common. Contact a fridge manufacturer and ask them. It has nothing to do with blocking the other receptacle. If they insisted or needed to block the other receptacle they would ship some custom plug with a large flange around it that completely blocked any option to plug in above or below the fridge. You can simply plug the fridge into the bottom receptacle and to top of the duplex is still accessible via some other cord, an AC cord, a 3 prong adapter that bumps a vertical drop plug above out far enough to pass over the plug below, on and on.

The right angle cord is to not put the cord in a bind when you shove the fridge back tight.

You miss the part about 90* - there are angles plugs that are set at 45* which would allow the use of both receptacles. There are - as far as I know - no manufacturers that use anything but 90* on refrigerators.
    I have searched for them for the last three years - - ever since my electrician mentioned it to me.

I do not dispute the fact that the plugs are flat.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

One is straight down, the other is at 45*.

I haven't measured these, but two fridges I have measured drew 1a running and about 12a to start. The router has to be less than 1a; so the maximum total will be 25a for a second. It is a 20a circuit; that won't trip on 30a for a few seconds.

You miss the part about 90* - there are angles plugs that are set at 45* which would allow the use of both receptacles. There are - as far as I know - no manufacturers that use anything but 90* on refrigerators.
    I have searched for them for the last three years - - ever since my electrician mentioned it to me.

I do not dispute the fact that the plugs are flat.
    No need for a pi$$ing contest. Im completely aware there are 45 degree, vertical drop, and even 90 degree horizontals. Heck now there are swivel plugs. The point is they all cost more than a bajillion a year 90 degree vertical drop cord that the appliance manufacturers beat their vendors into quoting and supplying for pennies. Thats why its a vertical drop cord. It has ZERO to do with dis-allowing two vertical drop cord appliances to be plugged into the wall. Its because they are the bread and butter (cheap) and allow the appliance to be shoved back tight to the wall.

A GAS RANGE.. is supplied with a vertical drop cord.. a GAS RANGE draws nothing more than the clock, igniter, and thermostat, circuit.. likely less than an amp... they are not trying to "block out" other appliances behind a gas range. The vertical drop is supplied because its cheap.

Make sure you plug it in to the lower outlet. Everyone knows the cold settles downward so that electricity is colder and cools better. The top outlet is for heating.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Make sure you plug it in to the lower outlet. Everyone knows the cold settles downward so that electricity is colder and cools better. The top outlet is for heating.
    Bill D.
    Finally, Someone takes the science into consideration.
    I think the code is more specific to kitchens than refrigerators/freezers, though still a good idea to keep them on separate circuits.
    Chuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    I think the code is more specific to kitchens than refrigerators/freezers, though still a good idea to keep them on separate circuits.
    Chuck
    Common sense would dictate that. If for some reason one trips the breaker you don't want the food in both to go bad.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Saunders View Post
    Chuck
    yeah, the code says the kitchen must have at least two 20 amp Small Appliance Branch Circuits. These circuits can not feed anything else except the kitchen.
    The refrigerator can be plugged into one of these circuits, and other things can be plugged into it.

You can also plug the refrigerator into a 15 amp circuit. But, then, the circuit must be dedicated to the refrigerator only.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Used to be the fridge only circuit could be non gfci. Not sure if that is still correct.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    yeah, the code says the kitchen must have at least two 20 amp Small Appliance Branch Circuits. These circuits can not feed anything else except the kitchen.
    [edited]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Used to be the fridge only circuit could be non gfci. Not sure if that is still correct.
    Bill D
    And remember codes change over time. Any new work needs to be done to current code. Finally codes may be slightly different in your city, county, parish, locality, state, country, imaginary state of minid.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    The refrigerator can be plugged into one of these circuits, and other things can be plugged into it.
    My kitchen is 55 years old, has three 15a circuits, 1 fridge, 2 countertop. With all the electric crap these days, our kitchen needs at least 2 more 15's. Hard to run both of our 1050w coffee makers (always on, but on separate circuits) PLUS any TWO high-draw appliances: a 1200w microwave, a 1500w toaster oven, a 1500w toaster, a 1500w induction cooktop, 1200w induction hot water pot... then there's the slushie grinder, pasta maker, the KitchenAid, various counter lights, plus the array of battery chargers... Would be nice to have enough outlets for everything too
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

If you know what you're looking for, they're easy to find.
    Here is just one example
    https://www.homelectrical.com/15-amp...RoCkuIQAvD_BwE