Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplex outlet that doesn't point the same way?

Duplex outlet that doesn't point the same way?

We got a new refrigerator and moved the old one into the basement next to the freezer. They both have large plugs with the wire coming out the bottom and they simply won't both fit in the duplex outlet. Is there a outlet that has them pointing in different directions. One up and one down, one to the right and one to the left... whatever. Right now I have one on a short extension cord, but that can't be right. Does such a thing exist?

I might be able to answer my own question...
    I was just in Lowes and didn't see this, but it might work.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-ado...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 10-18-2021 at 6:03 PM.

I have seen these before but i have never used one. https://www.amazon.com/360-Electrica...34193696&psc=1

Blog Entries
    The fridge & freezer should be connected to separate circuits. I don't know what the code calls for where you live, but the rational for the rule is that something that is full of $$$$$ of rottable stuff should be on it's own dedicated circuit to minimize the chance of another load tripping the breaker. Code or not, it's good practice.

Could you replace one cord end with a swivel one. Replace the box with a four outlet one. When I did my new fridge I replaced the outlet with surge outlet since fridges are computerized now.
    Bill D.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-15A-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Probably easier to swap the plug than the outlet.

Boy, a computerized fridge sounds like a disaster in the making. "sorry, an unexpected error occurred...."

I'd just 180 the receptacle in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The fridge & freezer should be connected to separate circuits. I don't know what the code calls for where you live, but the rational for the rule is that something that is full of $$$$$ of rottable stuff should be on it's own dedicated circuit to minimize the chance of another load tripping the breaker. Code or not, it's good practice.
    I wanted it on my generator, so I ran it off a circuit that had nothing but my router on it; so it is very lightly used. Even if both turn on at the same time, they aren't enough to trip it the breaker.
    I put alarms on both that sound if they go above 10F.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Probably easier to swap the plug than the outlet.
    You are probably right; I would only have to do one of them.

I would gamble and say you are wrong. If they both come on the same time they will trip the breaker because the start load on the compressor is more the older they get. I would not put them on the same circuit. especially if it is a 15 amp circuit.
    John T.

Check your local code, where I live a refrigerator requires a separate circuit……Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I they are typical u-ground plugs I use these when things get crowded.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

We got a new refrigerator and moved the old one into the basement next to the freezer. They both have large plugs with the wire coming out the bottom and they simply won't both fit in the duplex outlet.
    That's intentional. "They"(meaning the people that make these types of appliances) want to discourage people from doing what you want to do - for the reason's people have listed above.

While it may not be code in your area to run a non-dedicated circuit - it's a wise idea & it's a wise idea for that circuit to be 20 amp.

I had this discussion with my electrician three years ago. I opted to run a new dedicated circuit.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Others have beat me to the problem with having two heavy loads on one circuit.

They are words of wisdom, pay heed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I missed that part.

Just today, I was turning the power back on in a rental house, after changing sevice entrance to underground, decided to mark the breakers, and found the refrigerator circuit also powered up half the receptacles in the two car garage. I'll be running another circuit for the refrigerator, and suggest that here, as well, or at least another circuit for whatever else it's powering besides your refrigerator.

Most refrigerators only pull about 6 amps. It may have changed but to my knowlege there is no specific call out in the NEC for a dedicated circuit for a fridge though its recommended. Fridge rececptacles are exempted from the 20a counter top rule. Your local code may exceed the NEC...

The only reason there is a right angle plug on the fridge is so you can push the fridge back tight to the wall without putting a bind on a conventional horizontal plug on the cord. It has ZERO to do with blocking the adjacent receptacle. If someone installs a duplex back there you can just plug in to the lower receptacle and the top one is still open. We always installed a single receptacle back there so there was only one receptacle for the fridge as thats all that will likely ever be plugged in there.