Thread: MDO for torsion box face?

MDO for torsion box face?

I'm starting a build of an assembly/outfeed table using the "Paulk" design as some inspiration. I have a sheet of 3/4" 2-faced MDO that I am considering using as a top, with a regular sheet of either birch or radiata pine plywood as the bottom of the torsion box. Should I have any concerns about using the MDO?
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Not familiar with the "Paulk" design. Generally, no concerns about using MDO but 3/4" material for torsion skins is way overkill for your stated application. 1/4" BB skins would be sufficient.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Yes, what Brian said. A torsion box a few inches thick with 1/4" skins is incredibly strong & easily would stand up to any loads that assembly or outfeed would put on it.

Agree that 3/4 is overkill...unless you are going to put dog holes in it; then you need 3/4. I use a lot of MDO in the shop for jigs and fixtures and even my bench top and am a big fan. You can get it in 1/2" thick too, but I haven't seen it in 1/4, at least not as a stock item.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I'm with Paul...normally, .75" thick material is way overkill for a torsion box structure, but for dog holes and clamp slots a la Paulk, it can be appropriate. Be aware that the paper surface on the MDO can scratch quite easily in my personal experience. It's used a lot for signs because it has a very nice, flat, paintable surface, but it's still a thin surface in most cases. I wouldn't use it for this application without, um...application...of a good film finish to help reduce risk of that damage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ah, so now that I've learned a bit about Paulk workbenches, my first comment is totally irrelevant. Should've done some minimal research before replying. Interesting construction.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

You definitely want a 3/4” thick for a Paulk workbench top. Anything thinner and the dog holes type clamps may not be compatible. I can’t imagine doing any sort of pounding, clamping (to the top itself) or heavier type work on top of a 1/4” thick top, even on a torsion box. 3/4” mdo would be my preferred material for this application...just wish I could get it locally easily.
    Still waters run deep.

I use the outfeed table as a large work surface. I clamp to it and drive in drywall screws to attach alignment blocks and other temporary setups. 3/4 plywood works best for me.