Thread: Black finish on pine dresser

Black finish on pine dresser

I am building a simple pine dresser for my daughter, and she would like to have it be black, or close to black, without it being paint. I am looking at the various products on the market and have no idea how they might turn out. I don't want to waste my money on something that won't look dark enough. I would also like something fairly simple to apply. Any good suggestions? Whatever I use, I will probably apply a water-based semi-gloss poly over it.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

India ink followed by GF's High Performance. Can all be done with a brush. All bets are off if there are any knots, however. In any case, test on scrap.

John

Pine is notorious for blotchy finishes unless you use a preconditioner. Even with a black finish, it will likely look uneven with the different densities of wood grain. So as part of your experiments, try with a wood conditioner as well.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Pine is notorious for blotchy finishes unless you use a preconditioner. Even with a black finish, it will likely look uneven with the different densities of wood grain. So as part of your experiments, try with a wood conditioner as well.
    That won't be an issue with India Ink; it'll be jet black regardless of grain orientation. Knots and sap, however, might be a problem. If that turns out to be true, then a gel stain or something like GF's black Milk Paint might be a better option.

John

Angelus black shoe dye...followed by a clear coat in the sheen of your choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

J.E. Moser's Water Soluble Ebony Black Aniline Dye. ....used it on red oak, could not believe how black it came out.

I like to follow the black aniline dye with GF Ebony Gel Stain.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.