Thread: My first cherry project

My first cherry project

In my over 35 years of woodworking I have never made anything out of cherry. A few years ago I had an opportunity which netted me a few sheets of solid core plywood, two of which were cherry, and a number of cherry slabs. I had been planning to build a suitable computer desk and finally started on the project a couple of months ago.

And in all past projects I've never mixed wood species except in a couple of instances with very minor accents. So when I added hard maple into this project I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I think it turned out pretty good but would love to hear your comments.

All slides are full extension, soft close including the keyboard tray one which is on a slight angle. I didn't want the laser printer on top of the desk because of it's height. But it needed to be on a pull out tray to gain access to the controls on top. The door behind the laser is for easy access to clear paper jams, plus it balances out that side with the door that conceals the storage trays.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John, I really like the project. Very functional and unique, the hard maple does add some zip to it.

Blog Entries
    Very nice project. Getting an office organized is a really nice project. When I built the desk for our office I put the scanner in a drawer where it is out of the way, but can be pulled out and operated right from the drawer.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Great work.

The contrasting materials gives an "elegant" feel to the project. Well done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The contrasting materials gives an "elegant" feel to the project. Well done Sir!
    Never thought of it that way Ken. Thanks.

That turned out terrific. You shouldn't let your first time using cherry be your last! Congrats.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Congratulations on the build. It looks very nice. I love contrasting cherry and maple and walnut and maple and sometimes all three.
    Attached Images Attached Images