Thread: Best casters for hydraulic lift assembly table

Best casters for hydraulic lift assembly table

I’m picking up this lift table in a week or so and want to try and have the right casters on hand when I move it in and put it to work.

It probably weighs around 600 (?) lbs by itself, plus whatever I end up putting on it. This will be an assembly table that I will put a torsion box top on.

I haven’t seen any specific photos of the base of the lift yet ie: where to casters will actually mount, but drilling a bit of steel is no issue.

What I’m looking for are high quality casters that will minimize the effort needed to move this heavy lift table around my tiny shop. My current (non adjustable height) assembly table gets repositioned very often depending on what I’m working on and what type of space I need around the table. Definitely need swivels on all 4 corners and locks due to the cramped nature of the space. The floor of the shop in this area is 3/4” advantech and is likely where it will stay, but there is another area of the shop that it may get moved to from time to time that is pretty rough finished concrete that is bumpy and not smooth.

I was looking at these simply because I’ve heard them recommended so many times and want high quality, but am open to other options if there may be a better fit. I have no experience with Zambus and really only ever had mostly traditional, low-brow casters.

https://www.zambus.com/products/ac-0600f.html

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 10-16-2021 at 2:40 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

That wheel looks way to small I would use at least 3" diameter. Four or five inch is better. I prefer metal wheel with then tire. The plastic tire helps it over small bumps. My Tablesaw saw is on 14" cast iron implement wheels. Nice and smooth rolling.
    Bill D

Castercity is where I got the wheels for my CNC machine for transport and repositioning. They are 5" wheels with 3/4x10 threading and can carry a lot of weight. You really want to go with larger wheels to be able to maneuver around smoothly as well as to have a good "patch" in contact with the floor. Double-locking, of course.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have similar casters on my bench. They are great for things that will be moved occasionally. I say occasionally because of the time it takes to lower all four pads to lock it in place. The big advantage of those style casters is the ability to level the "whatever" and even if level isn't critical, they let you compensate for uneven flooring so your table won't rock or rack as it might with conventional casters. One minus, as others have pointed out, is the wheels are relatively small diameter, which means it can be hard to roll over rough surface. You can go to a model with larger wheels, but they get really pricey. I'd say if you are going to move it frequently, consider another solution.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I also have those casters on several pieces of gear and agree with the points made so far. Also the mounting studs are too short to use in anything but steel angle. They aren’t long enough to mount to 3/4” plywood for example. They do support a lot more than you'd think based on the appearance.

Thanks guys. I have looked through the Caster City website fairly extensively and think I’ve settled on some 1200 # (each) 6” phenolic swiveling and locking wheels for a reasonable price. There are some pretty pricey options available on that site, but seems like larger phenolic wheels will be a good compromise for the floor this lift will be on the majority of the time and apparently they don’t settle and develop flat spots over time like rubber or poly can with heavy static loads.

There are some days when I move my current assembly table multiple times a day depending on what the task is and what sort of spatial arrangement I need. Need a bigger shop!!
    Still waters run deep.

I had a good experience buying from them, Phillip. Good point about choosing a wheel material that is less prone to flatting for your specific application.
    --

I have had great luck with these footmaster copies - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If it gets deleted the amazon text is Happybuy Leveling Casters Set of 4, 2.5" - Self Leveling Casters Heavy Duty, 3300 Lbs Per Set - Machine Casters Stem

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Just placed an order with Caster City for a set of 6” phenolic casters - 900 # each with the total lock / double lock (locks swivel and wheel at the same time.)

I ended up calling them to get some support specific to my situation and talked with a salesmen who offered many suggestions and was not just trying to sell me the most expensive option. He also offered me a price that was about 60% of what I would have paid on their website for the same thing had I just ordered online.

I can always swap the wheels themselves quickly and easily for another material wheel if these prove to be the wrong choice for my situation.
    Still waters run deep.

Gotta love direct advice and a lower price.
    --