Thread: what is a torque tube rear drive?

what is a torque tube rear drive?

Just looking at a torque tube rear differential and I do not see eaxctly how this all works? Can someone explain it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    Just looking at a torque tube rear differential and I do not see eaxctly how this all works? Can someone explain it?
    Traditional drive shaft connects transmission to the rear diff via the drive shaft (but still a 'tube') with u-joints at each end. The tube is exposed and rotates (you can see it rotate). Any rotation of the diff/axle must be countered by some means other than the drive shaft (springs, trailing link, etc.).

A 'torque tube' is very similar in that it serves to connect the transmission to the rear diff, but it is structural as well. The drive shaft (rotating component) is inside a pipe-shaped housing. This housing bolts rigidly to the diff and helps the diff/axle resist rotation. Instead of traditional u-joints, the torque tube uses a somewhat different joint to absorb misalignment between the trans and tube. The name of this joint escapes me at the moment.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-18-2021 at 1:29 PM. Reason: details

A torque tube locates the differential more solidly and prevents it from hopping under stress.I belive the corvette torque tube just uses some rubber flex plates. Similar to a steering wheel design. But using this design reduces flex in the drive train so the entire engine and transmission must move some with the differential unless it has independent rear axles allowing the differential to be solidly attached to the frame. One end of the tube has a "torque ball" to allow some relative motion. Older cars and trucks did this by using chain chain drive off the fixed differential.
    Bill D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-18-2021 at 6:50 PM.