Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a cyclone dust filter

Cleaning a cyclone dust filter

I have a JDS cyclone filter, fit in my base height space. They are out of business and I retofit it (Glenn Bradley's idea)with this Wynn filter and the gamma lid design which worked great. Little heavy for an old man, but it works. I no longer have the paddle that turns inside the filter to loosen up particulate. Only way I can think to clean this is to spray it with compressed air from the outside in? Open to better ideas on how I might do this. thanks Brian

https://wynnenv.com/products-page/cyclone-filter-pricing/13r230nano/

Brian

Brian, when I originally bought a wynn, they said take it to the car wash and power spray it. Now they say not to. I've had reasonable luck over a decade now just blasting compressed air from outside.
    Tip: Use a long-reach aluminum blowgun extension - like a 24" from HFT. Bend it to help you reach better. Pinch the end down to a slit, which creates more of a sweeping air blast than a cone - seems to be more efficient. I also try to blast the inside by angling it through a plug-able hole in bottom of clean out bin. I made a BBirch and polycarbonate circular clean out clamped to bottom with a return line and blast gate, feeding back to the cyclone as a makeshift self-cleaning routine. A few years in the morphing, but works pretty well.

Cyclone Bottom clean out.jpg

Sorry for low quality- first upload to YT - guess I've got some learning to do to preserve definition, but I think you get the idea. It's almost a fun routine!

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 10-16-2021 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Video link

thanks Jeff much appreciated.
    Brian

From the Wynn Environmental FAQ:

"Our woodworking filters are cleaned-down from the outside with about 60 PSI of compressed air. Just use your blow-off nozzle."

https://wynnenv.com/faq/

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Paul View Post
    From the Wynn Environmental FAQ:

"Our woodworking filters are cleaned-down from the outside with about 60 PSI of compressed air. Just use your blow-off nozzle."

https://wynnenv.com/faq/
    Yes, I do that now, but wondered if creekers had any tricks. Brian
    Brian

If possible, take it outside and use a leaf blower. This really annoys 1 of my neighbors but after a minute or 2 the dust settles and I sweep it up

I also use compressed air via a blow gun. In addition I put the hose from my shop vac into the center of the cartridge to help minimize the amount of dust escaping. I swear I could do this for 2-3 hrs and still dislodge a substantial amount of dust.

I’ve used both a leaf blower and compressed air in the past. I have two dust collectors in my shop, a cyclone up on the wall with two Wynn filters and a roll-around Jet. The last time I had to really clean the Wynn filters I made a little set up where the filters sat on top of a box that had the dust collection to the Jet. I just turned it on and used compressed air, very little mess but still took forever!

thanks. appreciate it.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Force View Post
    If possible, take it outside and use a leaf blower. This really annoys 1 of my neighbors but after a minute or 2 the dust settles and I sweep it up

another good idea. I just have a small pancake compressor so it runs out of air fast. brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    I also use compressed air via a blow gun. In addition I put the hose from my shop vac into the center of the cartridge to help minimize the amount of dust escaping. I swear I could do this for 2-3 hrs and still dislodge a substantial amount of dust.

I did that also, but like you said, it kept coming. brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    I’ve used both a leaf blower and compressed air in the past. I have two dust collectors in my shop, a cyclone up on the wall with two Wynn filters and a roll-around Jet. The last time I had to really clean the Wynn filters I made a little set up where the filters sat on top of a box that had the dust collection to the Jet. I just turned it on and used compressed air, very little mess but still took forever!

Earlier Jeff's comment made me think about putting a gamma lid and bucket on the bottom of the filter with a hole in the side of the bucket for my shop vac to collect what I blow off. thanks brian
    Brian

I've got a wynn on mine, and you're right, the dust just keeps coming out. I sat it down on the concrete driveway and blasted it from outside with 60 psi, like recommended. I kept on moving it around the driveway and it kept leaving piles of dust. Amazing how much dust was inbedded. Probably did that 15 times till I got tired of doing it and pronounced it clean enough to myself. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

It might depends on which Wynn filter you have. I have a 100% spun bond filter which can be washed, I just used a garden hose nozzle. I vacuumed out the inside first to get the bulk of the dust first then wash. If you wash, plan on leaving it for a few days unless you're in the desert. It can take mine a few days to dry out depending on drying conditions.