Thread: Indexing jigs for cutting slots

Indexing jigs for cutting slots

I find myself cutting lots of parallel slots (for shelf inserts, shelving, or racks) and now am staring at a series of projects with more parallel slots. Of course the distance between the slots (from 1 to 12 inches apart), the width of the slot (1/8" to 3/4"), and length are all different (4-36"). I'd like to get some ideas on how to build, plans to build, or where to buy (good but inexpensive) a jig to help with cutting them. Typically I use a router with a spiral bit or the table saw with a dado blade.

You might consider a track saw. Most of the track saw manufacturers sell a router attachment for their tracks.

That would for for making the cuts. What about the indexing part?

Shims might be the answer to indexing. There are probably a dozen ways to accomplish repositioning the track, shims are easy to make and simple to use. After you make a cut or routed detail just clamp the next shim to the material and then move the track.

You could also have someone with a CNC Router make custom templates for your project. This would provide an accurate and simple way to machine parts very fast with your router.