Thread: Drawing Programs and SketchUp Question

Blog Entries

Drawing Programs and SketchUp Question

I have used 2D Visio for a long time then discovered SU many years ago and have been using ever since. I have SU Make 2017, but some of the drawings in Warehouse wont render properly or at all when I try to download. I see SK Free now is available and opened it but I dont like the user interface. Have you gotten used to this interface? I dont use the program for anything but peroneal at home use so do not need to pay for a sub.

On that note, are there other user friendly drawing programs out there that come highly recommended? TIA/
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

I use the free version of Fusion 360. One of the features is the ability to import drawings of most items from McMaster Carr. I've never used SketchUp, so I can't comment on the similarities/differences of the interface.

Blog Entries
    I have downloaded it. Thanks. How steep is the learning curve?
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Tim,

It was quite different from the 2D program I had been running, but I picked it up fairly quickly. Google is a great resource, as there are lots of tutorials on the different features. Just remember that you are producing a 3D model. Basically, you create a 2D sketch on a face of the project and then extrude it to create the 3rd dimension. Learn about "User Parameters" as they make altering your design so simple. Feel free to PM me if you get stuck and need some help.