Thread: Best/Cheap Nitile Gloves for Staining/Finishing?

Best/Cheap Nitile Gloves for Staining/Finishing?

I typically purchase a case (1000 gloves) of nitrile gloves every year or two for use in my shop and for various chores. The last batch I bought from Ebay was during the pandemic and they were not only expensive, but more cheaply made than other similarly advertised gloves I've purchased in the past. Wiping stain eats right through the finger tips.

As I use soooo many gloves, I was wondering if anyone has a source for reasonably priced nitrile gloves that will hold up to stains?

Thanks, bob

For a couple of years now, we just had to get what we could. I mainly found that thickness is the most important thing. I believe the last I bought were 8 mil, but don't remember the brand name. Thinner than that, and they tear easily. It seems like they all run small, and maybe sized for women's' hands. I get the XL size, while my normal glove size is L.

Grainger has a large selection. I’ve bought some at HD that have lasted a long time, but I get the feeling you use them a lot more than me.

I tend to buy nitrile gloves from places like Harbor Freight. For heavy dye/stain work, I opt for the much thicker 9 mil gloves because as you note the thinner products tend to either tear or bleed through way too easily. Like Tom, I use the XL size for gloves.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I buy Halyard purple nitrile from whatever online source (usually some sort of dental office supplier) I can find them cheapest. Even right now, they appear to only be $0.30/ea. Maybe not the cheapest, but they're good quality and don't break, and the delta between them and some junky ones from HF is minimal.

Never bought in bulk but the "venom" (?) ones from HD have served me well.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I use whatever Menards carries at the time. The last batch were "Venom" I think.

These are my favorite. I bought a supply after seeing them in several doctor's offices. I'm very happy with the quality, use them in the shop and around the farm. I have bought some lower quality gloves which didn't hold up well.

EDIT: oops, somehow I lost the link I thought I posted! These are what I use: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I2DYN6

But the price is now astronomical! I paid $15 for 200 gloves in 2015. Perhaps this is pandemic price gouging on Amazon and they can be found elsewhere.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-16-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Another vote for Venom Steel. I can get them from Lowes, HD or Menards. Main selling point is the thicker material, I think anything you buy that does that is going to work well.

I've used medical grade ones for years, as that's what I put on thousands of times at work. Finding out and getting the right size for your hands is more important for me than thickness. And each brand varies, sometimes by amazing amounts.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Cheap is not good when it comes to protecting yourself from chemicals with bad effects. The Halyard Purple seem to be good, though pay attention to the solvent charts for use. They can become porous long before they fail, exposing you to whatever you're working with. When working with the solvents marked "OK" rather than "excellent" we used to routinely double or triple glove in the lab, changing the outer gloves frequently.