Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wifi-extender....

wifi-extender....

I just bought a wifi extender and I am wondering if there is a way to test it. thx.

You need to install it to do that. .

Is it a wired extended (hardwired back to the primary access point) or is it going to rely on wireless. The former is preferred for performance. The latter might give you maximum signal between it and your device(s), but if there is a wireless connection back to the primary, you're at the mercy of that signal.

An overall better solution for "best performance" wireless networking is what's called a mesh system which has two or more nodes that are engineered to work as one big access point. The better units have an actual separate wireless network available between the nodes if wiring isn't possible/practical which helps improve performance, but wired between them always provides better performance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can't you just run a speed test with and without the extender to evaluate it? Might want to run it several times and take an average.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You need to install it to do that. .

Is it a wired extended (hardwired back to the primary access point) or is it going to rely on wireless. The former is preferred for performance. The latter might give you maximum signal between it and your device(s), but if there is a wireless connection back to the primary, you're at the mercy of that signal.

An overall better solution for "best performance" wireless networking is what's called a mesh system which has two or more nodes that are engineered to work as one big access point. The better units have an actual separate wireless network available between the nodes if wiring isn't possible/practical which helps improve performance, but wired between them always provides better performance.
    its a stand alone extender not hardwired to anything. The instructions say to position it near the router. it seems somewhat sketchy overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    its a stand alone extender not hardwired to anything. The instructions say to position it near the router. it seems somewhat sketchy overall.
    If you have to position it near the router then it is pretty pointless. You are supposed to position near the end of your router's signal. It picks that up and retransmits it so the signal goes further.
    I've never really gotten one to work decently. I used ethernet to connect a second router on the other side of the house. That worked.

I had a.Netgear router and extender and they worked pretty well. However, I upgraded to a mesh system and it really works. My wife's sewing room had been very difficult and she needed something better to connect to her sewing machine. The mesh system made her very happy.

As Jim stated go with a mesh network , you won't regret it. As I recall some extenders or repeaters would only give you 1/2 the speed or bandwidth as the router itself. I bought googles three pack with the intention of putting one in my backyard shop. I had zero bars out there. After firing up the three in the house I found that I had full bars in the shop so I never moved it. I could have made it on two most likely. As a bonus when the kid call on face time we don't need to run into the house anymore to maintain the call signal. The mesh network will replace your router so if you need more than one wired port at the existing router you will want to get a switch. the cable companies wifi is crap so don't plan on using it

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    So it sounds like it's just a repeater of some sort. You may or may not benefit from it and not really at all if, it needs to be physically positioned near the existing access point.
    --

there are very few "mesh" networks in the home space. Some kind of utilize some mesh technologies (wireless backhaul does not necessariily make a mesh) and market it as such. Home networks are generally set up with multiple access points being hauled back, or in say apples case - with extenders. The technology is getting better and better in this space, but true mesh networks require complex and advanced mesh controllers that configure, deploy, and constantly change the power requirements that are broadcast to maintain the best network possible.

That being said - most places can benefit with having multiple access points avaialble to it rather than the classic old way of a centrally located router.

My desktop pc and router are in my basement near the east end of our home. Our main television is in our living room upstairs at the west end our our home. We bought an Amazon firestick so we could use the Disney+ membership given to us as a gift. Due to poor at best wifi connection at the tv, I bought a wireless wifi extender. It worked as advertised providing a much better signal and operation! The function of wifi signals are going to be a result of many elements within one's home, metal studs, earthen walls, etc. that can affect an RF signal.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have one-
    wifix.jpg

When it works, it works pretty good, much better signal in the garage, less lag time...

But I'm about fed up with 'when it works' computer crap, especially the 'when it DOESN'T' part
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fang View Post
    there are very few "mesh" networks in the home space. Some kind of utilize some mesh technologies (wireless backhaul does not necessariily make a mesh) and market it as such. Home networks are generally set up with multiple access points being hauled back, or in say apples case - with extenders. The technology is getting better and better in this space, but true mesh networks require complex and advanced mesh controllers that configure, deploy, and constantly change the power requirements that are broadcast to maintain the best network possible.
    While existing current consumer mesh network systems are not as sophisticated as commercial products (and never likely will be), the mesh systems available today from the name brands are pretty darn good, easy to manage and a step way above multiple discrete access points and/or "extenders". And I say that as a network engineer.
    --

As do I (network engineer). I run Fortinet firewalls and commercial gear in my house. I also have run Cisco wlc, and ubiquiti previously. Currently playing around with 6 FortiAP access points for coverage in my home. . But yes some of the netgear,UniFi(ubiquiti residential gear) and others are making good inroads in it. And it is “kind of” meshy but it isn’t. But also probably not necessary to have true mesh hand offs and self healing mesh networks.

Am I the only one that read the OP " I just bought a wifi extender and I am wondering if there is a way to test it." and tried to answer the question asked? He didn't ask for advice on how to extend his WiFi network, he asked how to test the WiFi extender he bought. I suggested running a speed test with and without it, will that work? any other suggestions?
    The many suggestions on alternatives may be better solutions but unless he can test what he has, he has nothing to compare to.

Doug, a "speed test" may or may not indicate actual performance and what speed test is chosen can also matter. A lot of the "extenders" just plain don't work very well which is why the discussion went the way it did.
    --