Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody have a propane fire pit table?

Blog Entries

Anybody have a propane fire pit table?

We are thinking of getting a propane table fire pit for our patio.
    Anybody have one?
    What do you think of it?
    I’ve heard they use a lot of gas, I’m less concerned about that , and more concerned about the quality of the fire pit.
    Thanks
    Dennis

I have a Bistro heated table that works nice keeps you warm when it is cool outside

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I have a Bistro heated table that works nice keeps you warm when it is cool outside

Agree. My daughter has a table and it definetely extends the season.

A friend of mine has a double wall wood burning fire pit, very nice. It has a adjustable grate for cooking and unlike any other wood burning fire pit I have seen no one gets blasted with smoke. It is the only wood burning fire pit I have experienced where you don’t need to shower after sitting around the fire. It also keeps you warmer than a propane pit.

Propane is expected to skyrocket price wise this winter, around $6 from what I hear. Both of my SIL have a Solo stove wood burner. They have a base and you can put it on a deck. No smoke unless you load it above the rim. Worth a look I think

I have an Outland Fire Bowl and love it. No affiliation.

why not NG?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    why not NG?
    I thought about stubbing in a line when we were pouring the new patio, but didn't want to commit to a fixed furniture arrangement.
    The propane-fueled table (from Target of all places) ends up getting moved once or twice a year.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Use a hose.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Use a hose.
    Sure, what could possibly go wrong?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

$60 for a 24' NG hose on Amazon-

nghose.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I had one about 4 years ago that was propane. Really nice flame. Converted it to natural gas when we had some piping put in for an outdoor kitchen. Changed to the appropriate fittings (unit was rated for both natural gas and propane). The flame looked terrible with natural gas. We really regretted the change.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I had one about 4 years ago that was propane. Really nice flame. Converted it to natural gas when we had some piping put in for an outdoor kitchen. Changed to the appropriate fittings (unit was rated for both natural gas and propane). The flame looked terrible with natural gas. We really regretted the change.
    Probably needs a different jet size. There's a set of jets marked "propane" taped under the top of my (NG) range. Never checked to see whether they're larger or smaller than the installed jets, but I assume the flow rate is different between the two gasses.

Most gas logs use NG and the flames look fine. (Or at least just like what I see in the firepit...whether that's good or bad is in the eye of the beholder.)

We gave one to our daughter and son-in-law for their deck.

They love it.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

Propane jets are tiny compared to NG jets; NG is delivered at a much lower pressure than propane.

And FWIW- I have a propane fire table. It's wonderful, when it works. Not sure why but it has a thermocouple issue. We first used it out at the lake on a patio dock we built (the fire table wasn't ours at the time), and it would only work sporadically. The owner bought a new thermocouple and it worked great, for about 2 weeks, then it just plain wouldn't light. I bought another thermocouple for it, and it worked great. A few months later the table's owners moved to Florida and gave us the table. We brought it home, where it worked for one night then died. So I figured maybe the burner was bad, so I bought a whole new burner for it. Complete new burner wouldn't work right either. I can go out there right now and it may work, may not. And if it does fire, it'll shut down within 10 minutes.

And speaking of thermocouples, we have a propane patio heater, worked great for 2 winters, then I couldn't light it unless the wife held a second lighter to the thermocouple. The pilot would then light afterwards, and the heater worked as long as it was on, but when turning it off to just the pilot light, the pilot would go out after about 2 or 3 minutes.

Our son bought the same model patio heater as ours 2 years later, and I guess thermocouples are a problem with some propane items, his heater has no pilot or thermocouple at all, the propane delivery is done with the main knob and lighted by an ignitor-- exactly like most BBQ's...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle