Thread: Questions about Scandinavian Benches, etc.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Questions about Scandinavian Benches, etc.

Hi guys,

I've been contemplating starting back up my apartment woodworking endeavors, which were so costly and difficult before. But, I like making things...
    So, I'm ordering some chisels, a bit and brace, and an antique dovetail saw and No. 2 Stanley Bailey (Expensive, but I'm not going to be making large things often enough to justify even a tenon saw or No. 3, I think, and want to specialize in smaller work, and I dislike block planes.)

My main constraints, and these are huge ones, are:

1) Sound
    2) Space
    3) Able to be knocked down and moved, not too terribly heavy. I move a LOT. That means minimal tools, and staying as light weight as possible.

I'd also like it to look somewhat nice (a change from my previous benches) just in case it finds a home one day in the living room or something. If it looks good enough to serve as a regular table or desk one day, all the better.

I'm looking to make very small projects. Possibly very small pieces of furniture, but mostly just toys and small boxes -- that sort of thing.
    As far as space, I'm thinking the largest I should go with is around 18" x 36".

My first question is a general one:

1. If you were concerned about space and noise, what sort of bench would you build? Keeping in mind the small size (1.5 x 3 feet) and mobility as a necessity.
    In particular, how would you limit the vibrations that the bench imparts to the floor? Last time I did this, I found a couple of problems:
    - Thin benchtops tend to act as soundboards and amplify chopping noises
    - I also would imagine that a very heavy bench, due to its mass, can be more easily decoupled from the floor whilst still relying on its mass to provide resistance against chopping and the like.
    On this point, something like a Roubo with a super thick top would be ideal, except for two problems; namely that it can't be moved easily, and that it's so small that there's not enough material to support the leg joinery unless the legs are far too close together.

Questions about Scandinavian / Sloyd designs:

I saw a little Sjoberg's bench almost exactly this size (I think 14" x 36") called the "Junior / Senior" which inspired me, and also got me considering a Scandinavian / Sloyd design.
    I also love the look of the simple, older style vintage Sloyd workbenches, if you do a search on google: https://www.google.com/search?q=sloy...4cYRfkbb_EtLKM

I do not want to use a fancy press vise or tail vise like on large scandinavian workbenches. I'm thinking something more similar to the Sjoberg. I want to keep the entire bench simple and quickish to build -- not too much joinery or anything, though I do think I will mortise the leg assemply together. Preferably no unnecessary joinery on the top.

However, I don't really know how these benches are constructed traditionally, in their simplest form. I've scoured the internet, and can't seem to answer the following questions:

2. How are the legs attached? They seem to not be attached by all that much. These things don't rack? I can't find references freely available on the internet, and I can't find much on simpler constructions. I want to know the "bare minimum" or the "most basic" design, not the insanely elaborate and ornate ones.
    3. How is the top made? How thick is the top typically? They seem really thin, and sometimes (usually?) with skirts that are also narrow, but a little thicker than the top.
    4. Is this bench style just totally not suited to my situation?

I was thinking of attempting to build a very simple version of this, with just a flat, 2" or so thick top and no skirt / rim, or only a very short skirt in the front perhaps (*this brings up another point: it'd be nice to use with a chair that can scoot up underneath, since it necessarily needs to be somewhat on the short side). The legs I don't really know how to attach just yet. I'm not opposed to simple hardware methods, but I don't want something too flimsy, and whatever the method, it must be easy to disassemble.

This all depends on what materials I find available to me, though. My budget is not terribly high, so pine is likely going to be my go-to.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 10-15-2021 at 1:48 AM.