Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tablesaw crosscut sleds - what is the simplest/easiest one you've seen or built

Look up Dubby. I have one and it is extremely accurate.

I’ve thought about double runners that don’t fill the whole slot and run only against the inside (or outside) of the slots.

Anyone see a problem with this?

The December 2021, #292, Fine Woodworking, pp 44ff, has an article on fabricating a sled. A torsion box made from 1/8" hardboard/Masonite for an overall thickness of 3/8".

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I’ve thought about double runners that don’t fill the whole slot and run only against the inside (or outside) of the slots.

Anyone see a problem with this?
    That works fine. Some years ago a guy in Poland named Niki described sleds made this way (as well as a huge variety of other jigs). Niki is no longer with us, and I hope someone has kept all his clever constructions.

He made double miter bar sleds by making the halves separately with loose bars, holding them to the side of the miter slot closer to the blade as each was trimmed, then using the fences (front and back) to mount them together so they were square and slid smoothly. I'm sure he had a simple and clever way to attach the fence square.

My own approach to squaring a fence is to use a framing square referencing the kerf, and to glue it on solidly. When dry I check squareness using the 5-cut method, shim with tape the amount indicated, and screw on a fence face leaving 1/8" dust gap below. By screwing on the face, it can be easily replaced to freshen the kerf, there's no need to chamfer the bottom, and it's very easy to shim.
    Last edited by Alan Schwabacher; 10-22-2021 at 2:53 PM.

Niki is no longer with us, and I hope someone has kept all his clever constructions.
    Sadly - no. Many of his works were stored somewhere other than on the SMC server and have been lost forever.

Thankfully - a few gems - like his sled survive:
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 10-23-2021 at 3:03 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Steven Woodward, a fellow Creeker, has a video describing his method of ensuring that the sled runners fit tightly against the inside of the miter slot on the table saw. I tried his method and am very happy with the results. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/twEc6LZHlJQ

Rich: Thanks. I had searched without success for Niki on this site, and the your link didn't work for me. But after digging a bit I found that Niki's name was Nissim Avrahami, and that led me to his sled description here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-different-way

I hope this link works.