Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley/Veritas tools

I Agree! Just to lend unnecessary credence to Rob's email, my son ruefully asserts that he has no shortage of customers willing to pay $10K for a generators, he just cannot get the parts with which to make them.

I actually went recently looking to buy their O1 chisels only to find them out of stock, along with just about everything else...

Had no idea of the cause until I saw this thread.

I do not know if buying things that are out of stock will help, but purchasing in stock items may be a good way to show support.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    I actually went recently looking to buy their O1 chisels only to find them out of stock, along with just about everything else...

Had no idea of the cause until I saw this thread.

I do not know if buying things that are out of stock will help, but purchasing in stock items may be a good way to show support.
    I could be wrong, but didn't they discontinue the O1 chisels?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I could be wrong, but didn't they discontinue the O1 chisels?
    The Lee Valley branded chisels are still made of "high carbon steel." They come with plastic handles, some folks are fine with plastic, some folks prefer wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

animal cruelty

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My latest order arrived a couple days ago.

It wasn't a big order but it filled a hole in my selection of forestner bits and brad point bits. Plus a lifetime supply (hopefully) of the inexpensive brushes that are great on the bench for cleaning shavings from planes and applying finish. They are often considered throw away brushes but mine often get cleaned.

Attachment 466449

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s?item=56Z9930

At less than 80¢ each these are not only less expensive than the ones often seen in the big box stores the handles have a better feel than the roughness of the others.

Oops! I was looking at the Canadian site. The brushes work out to 60¢ each, that is about half the price for the small ones (1/2") that Lowes & HD used to charge but no longer carry.

Fill the holes in your drill bit selections and toss a bag of brushes on top of your order.

jtk
    Sorry Jim. You can dislike me for my reply, but animal bristle brushes from China are sourced cruelly. I'd rather use a vegan or a foam brush. Also, shame on you, Rob Lee.

https://www.peta.org/living/humane-h...fur-free/?v2=1

Blog Entries
    animal bristle brushes from China are sourced cruelly
    These brushes are not from China.

Though they may be sourced the same way. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

At one time my diet was vegetarian. My, currently visiting, grandson is vegetarian and enjoys my meatless cooking and has been learning some of my recipes and cooking techniques.

Just this morning an early Christmas gift was purchased for my grandson, a Veritas 14ppi Dovetail Saw. Hopefully there is no animal issues with the saw other than the cruel way animals became extinct a million years ago to create the deposits now used to make plastics.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for your reply, Jim. I recently got a plastic-spined gents saw from Lee Valley. My wife introduced a vegetarian diet ~30 years ago because of her love for animals. Though I quickly joined her, it took me a while to emotionally accept a meatless diet. It's easier now with the range of frozen and non frozen dishes at stores. As a byproduct of my choice and an inability to tolerate oral iron supplements, I became iron-deficient and need occasional outpatient iron infusions. Fortunately, my doctor doesn't berate me for causing my own medical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The Lee Valley branded chisels are still made of "high carbon steel." They come with plastic handles, some folks are fine with plastic, some folks prefer wood.

jtk

I assumed he meant the Veritas Bench Chisels, which were available in O1 up until recently. Those plastic-handled LV chisels are a good deal, though, if you can tolerate the handles – the steel is better than the similarly priced Narex, in my opinion. I'd happily pay what they cost to buy only the chisel blade so I can handle them without having to remove the plastic handle first.

I saw the new prices..... Some of the planes are up to 100 from the time I bought it. Difficult times. LV has always been careful with their price increase until now........... It is bad. Supply chain and all. If you have bought a new PC you know what I mean.

Better make sure it isn't made from real dovetails!

while I think that bringing up animal cruelty issues in industry is a valid and important issue, I don't see how berating anyone is. That's a never ending rabbit hole...

I will say one thing about Lee Valley, I don't consider there customer support to be that great because what they do goes so far beyond good customer support that I can't even compare it.

They absolutely value their customers (not just their customers dollars).
    It isn't a cheap store by any means, and shipping to Israel is so expensive I can't possible consider switching from Amazon for generic products. But between the customer service and the quality of the tools I am completely sold on the company. I hope to be able to let them wreak havoc on my bank account for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    I will say one thing about Lee Valley, I don't consider there customer support to be that great because what they do goes so far beyond good customer support that I can't even compare it.

They absolutely value their customers (not just their customers dollars).
    It isn't a cheap store by any means, and shipping to Israel is so expensive I can't possible consider switching from Amazon for generic products. But between the customer service and the quality of the tools I am completely sold on the company. I hope to be able to let them wreak havoc on my bank account for many years.
    They did wreck havoc for many years and at times do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Sorry Jim. You can dislike me for my reply, but animal bristle brushes from China are sourced cruelly. I'd rather use a vegan or a foam brush. Also, shame on you, Rob Lee.
    As someone who has (very) strong opinions on various things I understand the urge to post things like this. But I would strongly suggest leaving this sort of activism out of these forums. Folks come here to enjoy and learn about our shared woodworking interest.

And the problem with posting things like this is that some people will dislike you for it. There is enough of this on social media, let's leave it off of The Creek.

Trashing Lee Valley for carrying animal products is not cool in my not so humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post

https://www.peta.org/living/humane-h...fur-free/?v2=1

Bruce -

The brushes well sell use pig bristle - not boar bristle - there is a big difference. Our brushes are made in Indonesia (not China) - and the bristles may actually be sourced from India, though I am not certain - as the manufacturer may source from more than one supplier. I have been told that the bristles are a byproduct of hog processing for meat - and would otherwise be animal waste. I certainly find this credible - as the prices of the brushes would certainly not support being produced from any other source.

Just want to make sure you are making fact based decisions.

Rob
    (not ashamed)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Bruce -

The brushes well sell use pig bristle - not boar bristle - there is a big difference. Our brushes are made in Indonesia (not China) - and the bristles may actually be sourced from India, though I am not certain - as the manufacturer may source from more than one supplier. I have been told that the bristles are a byproduct of hog processing for meat - and would otherwise be animal waste. I certainly find this credible - as the prices of the brushes would certainly not support being produced from any other source.

Just want to make sure you are making fact based decisions.

Rob
    (not ashamed)
    Thank you, Rob. I'm brittle about animal cruelty. I apologize for my uninformed attack.