Thread: Lie-Nielsen honing guide & 18 deg skewed jaw pair question!

Lie-Nielsen honing guide & 18 deg skewed jaw pair question!

Has anyone used the Lie-Nielsen honing guide with the 18 deg skewed jaw pair to hone a Stanley no. 140 iron? Basically, I am asking if the Stanley iron can be held by the LN honing guide and jaws or not. Thanks in advance for answers!

Blog Entries
    Hello Nick and a belated welcome to the Creek.

My sharpening is mostly done freehand so no help with your question. My #140 came with a blade sharpened off skew so it had to be corrected. Hopefully someone here has an answer for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the L-N version of the skew plane and their sharpening guide for it. It works very well. If the Stanley blade in question requires an 18 degree skew, then the Stanley blade should fit into the LN guide. I will add the standard disclaimer about the LN honing guide: "This guide was designed to sharpen Lie-Nielsen tools."

Do you have a gauge that can measure the mouth angle of the Stanley skew plane?

*Just checked on-line LN catalog and the 18 degree angled jaws are not currently available for the LN honing guide. I also noted that one source lists the Stanley plane as having a 20 degree cutting angle. If you live close to Indy you can try mine.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 10-25-2022 at 11:01 AM.