Thread: Need a compact plunge router

Need a compact plunge router

Guys, I'm in need of a small plunge router for doing some inlay work. In the latest Rockler email there is a compact Makita 1 1/4 Hp kit (RT0701CX7) for $149 + $20 gift card. I think I have seen that the Dewalt 611 kit gets favorable reviews by members here. I'm not sure of the comparable weights of the two kits, but I'm 83 y.o. and can't handle larger routers like in years past.

Your thoughts on the pros/cons of the two?

Thanks much,
    Jerry

I like my Bosch Colt with a plunge base. I'm not sure how it compares to the Dewalt or Makita.

I have both the DeWalt and the Makita. Both great, but if I had to choose I would take the DeWalt, as I prefer the switch and it plunges nicely. As I said, both are great.

I bought the Makita, which is cordless and plungeless , because I have a lot of Makita cordless stuff, and did not want to start a new platform. The DeWalt is corded. If I had DeWalt cordless tools, I would have gone the other way.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have both the Makita and the DeWalt.

I have both corded and cordless Makita and both motors fit the plunge base.

While I like the convenience of cordless - I prefer the way the DeWalt plunge router feels.

Both work well. I doubt you could go wrong with either.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have the DeWalt corded and cordless. Both work great, but I prefer the cordless.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a Bosch corded (not plunge) and Dewalt corded plunge. I’ve had the Bosch for maybe 10 years, the Dewalt for 2. Of the two, the Dewalt is my favorite. The plunge is very smooth. It is a little heavier than the Bosch. Neither one is hard to control one handed. If I was getting a third one, it would be Dewalt. Nothing against the Makita, just no experience with them.

I have the Dewalt and like it a lot. It'll also take larger bases from my Porter Cable routers, and accepts template bushings nicely. Great little product.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I have the Dewalt and like it a lot. It'll also take larger bases from my Porter Cable routers, and accepts template bushings nicely. Great little product.
    The Makita needs an adapter to use the PC guide bushings - #321492-3 about $20 from Amazon.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Dewalt 611 corded is my small plunge. I really like this little router with both plunge and fixed bases.

I've really come to love the convenience of my Milwaukee M18 cordless trim router, it now has a plunge base available that I haven't used. It's tiny, and powerful enough for many tasks, one hand operation is easy. uses the PC bushings. Biggest downside is that it takes only 1/4" shaft bits and 98% of the bits I currently own are 1/2", even when the cutters are tiny-- I hate changing collets!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've really come to love the convenience of my Milwaukee M18 cordless trim router, it now has a plunge base available that I haven't used. It's tiny, and powerful enough for many tasks, one hand operation is easy. uses the PC bushings. Biggest downside is that it takes only 1/4" shaft bits and 98% of the bits I currently own are 1/2", even when the cutters are tiny-- I hate changing collets!
    I'm in the same situation, most of my router bits are 1/2" shank. I buy 1/4" shank bits as I need them. I don't find that I need a great variety of 1/4" shank bits, mostly trimming and chamfer or roundover. I do most edge treatments on the router table so 1/2" shank are appropriate. The small 'trim' routers certainly are handy. I used my Griz/Makita knockoff yesterday to trim some solid wood plywood edging with a flush trim bit. Yes I could have used a mid sized router for the same job but the little Griz is just so light and easy to handle. Plenty of power for tasks like I was doing.

Thanks all. The responses were informative !

Think I'll go with the DW 611 at Home Depot or Lowes (whichever has it). The 10% discount for retired military comes in handy.

Appreciate your assistance.

Jerry

I have the RP0900K 1/4" shank Makita plunge router. It's excellent and easy to use. I use my non-plunge Makita laminate trimmer for when I don't need plunge. It also works great.
    Howard Rosenberg

I have a 611 plunge corded. Its not really all that small honestly. My makita cordless plunge is much smaller.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I have a 611 plunge corded. Its not really all that small honestly. My makita cordless plunge is much smaller.
    Mike, I have the 611 plunge corded too. My one grumble about it is that the plunge base's footprint is nearly as big as my workhorse 2 hp router. What are the dimensions of the Makita plunge base?