Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewelry Box, with Fancy Corner Joints

Jewelry Box, with Fancy Corner Joints

After almost 6 weeks on the Injured Reserve....finally am able to return to the shop....at least on a limited basis....letting the knee decide when I am done. Anyway..while enjoying a nice, restful, PAIN-FREE night's sleep.....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up decided to wake me up....seems it had come up with some weird idea to make a box...kept bugging me until I was forced to draw up some sort of "Paper Plan"....which I rarely do. So.....here we go...
    Jewelry Box, groove.JPG
    Once 4 sides have been cross cut for length, ends squared, and the boards ripped for width (4")...there needs to be a groove milled into the end grain on each end. I thought this would be the "easy" part....Once the grooves are milled....then some bevels can be milled, also on the ends
    Jewelry Box, Miters.JPG
    So far...remove anything highlighted in red...each end of the 4 boards get this done....so that when you set a corner...
    Jewelry Box, meeting miters.JPG
    Makes a fancy miter joint....hmmm..
    Jewelry Box, crossing the T.JPG
    Something like this? The "hard part will be a "spline" with a bead, to connect the corners...
    Jewelry Box, add a beaded spline.JPG
    Which I will be setting upto mill today...I hope. Bead will stick out a bit...using a #23 beading bit in the Stanley 45....
    Jewelry Box, cuts of a spline.JPG
    Again..remove all that is coloured red. Spline will get milled from Ash ( could be any hardwood...) and on the edge of a 3/4" thick scrap.

Have a boat load of other details to work through....

Stay tuned...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out, Steven. That's a snazzy joint, and I don't think I've seen it before.

Good to see you back in the shop and hope your knee treats you right! Would it be easier to let in a square piece to each side rather than the rabbeted piece?

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Yesterday...had a quilt needing washed and dried..so, 2 trips down to the shop...one to start the washer with the quilt....then bring a plank down the steps to the shop....
    Jewelry Box, LONG board.JPG
    All 6' 4" of it....both ends weren't all that great...Didn't NEED the entire length. Picked a start point..
    Jewelry Box, bad end 2.JPG
    Just beyond the splits. Then measure about 19" from that mark...
    Jewelry Box, first cut.JPG
    No square for now, just a rough cut.....from that cut, another 19"...before the next rough cut..what was left was just set aside, for now...I had 2 blanks to work with..
    Jewelry Box, 2 blanks.JPG
    Will wait a bit before I trim off that red line area....first, set up the rip fence, run the straightest edge against it...and peel away the wavy outside edge...reset the fence to 4" run the freshly sawn edge against the fence..
    Jewelry Box, ripped for width.JPG
    Edges are parallel. NOW I can square the ends? Welllllll..needed to have the grain flow all around the box...looking like I had simply folded the plank into a square..
    Jewelry Box, follow that grain.JPG
    Means I have to watch how I cut four pieces....into two long sides(12") and 2 shorter ends (6") ,from the last rough cross cut, worked my way "south" starting with a long side, then a short end, then that extra long blank was cut in the same order....to where I came around with a short end to meet up with the first long side...
    Jewelry Box, 4 sides.JPG
    And...and each new cut, I made sure the end was squared up...one thin pass to barely peel away anything out of square...

Stock is now prepped....ready to do a bit of joinery? Washer was done...quilt is being loaded into the dryer...when THAT is done, I think the knee will be as well..
    Stay tuned..

Joinery, Part 1. Means I need to set up the Zero Clearance Overlay...and set up the tablesaw to plough a groove into the end grain...about..8 grooves all total...
    Jewelry Box, set-up for grooves.JPG
    trying to center a 1/4" wide groove...thin saw blade meant I needed 2 passes per groove..in theory...
    Jewelry Box, first try....JPG
    Meh....missed it by that much, Chief. reset a hair, try again..
    Jewelry Box, 2nd try.JPG

Next...Bevels. Tilt the blade over to 45 degrees....reset the overlay and the fence...had to redo the "jig" a bit..first one wanted to tilt over, or dip down into the blade..
    Jewelry Box, safer set up.JPG
    Added that thin strip to prevent tilts, second c clamp to flatten the part, and prevent any forward tipping...first couple of runs were done, do a test fit..
    Jewelry Box, crossing the T.JPG
    Get all these bevels cut. Might as well add the outside bevels to the top and bottom edges of all 4 sides....
    Jewelry Box, ALL beveled.JPG
    Only on the "outside" face...have other plans for the inside faces....Details?
    Jewelry Box, bevel details.JPG

As for that first "jig"?
    Jewelry Box, bevel cutter.JPG

Was too "tippy" side to side, and front to back....

next time in the shop? will involve hand planes....right now, quilt is done...knee is DONE...time to call it a day....just about 90 minutes long.

Stay tuned..

We now have a pattern to work with...
    Jewelry Box. spline pattern.JPG
    Have to work on getting rid of the tear-out....mainly from cutting the double bead....
    Jewelry Box, better pattern.JPG
    Maybe a different wood?
    Jewelry Box, inside corners.JPG
    These are the insides of the 4 sides....trying to get the grain to flow around....
    Jewelry Box, end view.JPG
    Half a bead cut..
    Jewelry Box, full bead.JPG
    Full bead done....then just cut away the waste to form the tongues....simple, right?
    Jewelry Box, Joint an edge first.JPG
    Have to joint the edge first.....Sargent VBM 414c....

Tablesaw to remove the waste. Getting the last of these splines fitted up...
    Jewelry Box, first corner done.JPG
    Almost there....and..
    Jewelry Box, groovy corners.JPG
    Last ones....needed grooves milled to house the panel for the bottom (floor?) of the box...needed a jig to keep things from running away..
    Jewelry Box, groovy jig.JPG
    Shorter ends were worse....white object is an old plain candle.....makes the plane slide better...
    Jewelry Box, grooved up.JPG

Had thought about using some thin Ash boards for the floor....
    Jewelry Box, today deatils.JPG
    Until I found 2 plywood 1/4" thick panels about the right size.

Need to decide on a lid of some sort.....flat panel inset into the sides via a rebate...or...a raised panel like panel....matches the angles around the top edge?

Stay tuned...may get to a glue up...as soon as I figure out HOW to clamp the dang thing together.....

Hmmm, seems the "secret" to a glue up was LOTS of cussing....enough to make a Marine blush....but..
    Jewelry Box. spline pattern.JPG
    Had one of these that was a hair too fat....hammer assist got most of it into place...have glued the part that didn't back on....with a bit of an assist from that hammer..
    Jewelry Box, glue up 1.JPG
    There was also a rebate milled around the top edges..BEFORE the glue up happened...
    Jewelry Box, glue up, inside view.JPG
    I used the plywood bottom to help out....splines were glued in first, then the sides to each other ( which was when the cussing started up in earnest) Too many parts...not nearly enough hands....

Will let this sit right there for a day or 3...while I work on a lid of some sort..
    Jewelry Box, glue up, mitered.JPG
    The Forest of Clamps....stay tuned...

Clamps are off...board for the lid has been set aside...Monday...shop is closed.

Blog Entries
    Steven, I'm really impressed with your very creative corner joint!! I can only imagine how much cussing, clamps and mallet blows it took to get them seated. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece acclamation Mark thanks for posting.

Work in progress...
    PIP, Jewelry Box 2.JPG

Lots of sanding to do...and a bit pf work with a smoother, too
    PIP, Jewelry Box 1.JPG
    trying to decide which will be the "Front" so I'll know where to add the hinges...and a latch...

Am NOT real happy with that lid.....makes this look like a casket. Threw away the lid, this morning....and also removed the rebate it sat in ( and NOT very well, either)..
    New Lid, rebate removed.JPG
    Not sure if those red layout marks will be where the hinges will be...or just latch the lid on this side...

had some resawn Ash....wasn't quite wide enough, and way too long....I cut off what I didn't need...
    New Lid, Cut-offs, tray parts.JPG
    Might find a use for these 2.....the other ends were Jointed, and then ripped for a new width ~3" strong. They both needed a little work to get them to the same thickness, AND flat. Then a jointer plane to refine the edges that will get a bead of glue mooshed along them....no gaps allowed...

Then the Forest of Clamps arrived.....
    New Lid, Forest of Clamps.JPG
    Even doubled up the cauls, to keep things flat ( less work for me, when the clamps are removed, tomorrow)
    New Lid, doubled cauls.JPG
    "Mo'clamps!"

Let this sit a day....stay tuned...

Very interesting Steven. Your mind must have been working very hard during your rehab. After you’re done you will have to tell us whether you want to do that ever again.
    Jim

Actually, I would do this sort of mitered corner again. A few tweaks would be made. Maybe use the next size (up) bead cutter...maybe deeper slots ( <3/4" deep) and maybe just 2 saw blade widths wide, instead of 3.

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up does come up with some .."Different" ideas. Always want to try them out.....never know when they might come in handy. Others can, and will "steal" this idea...and are welcome to it.

Dovetailed corners or Finger Joint corners get boring after a while.....Nice to try something different. Maybe we can get someone to "extrude" splines like this...sell them by the foot?

Them grooves? They just had to go away....
    Thin Lid, groove be gone.JPG
    All the way down, to remove the bad beveled edges ( none matched it's neighbor..) and start over with something better..

Panel is out of the clamps...Jumbo Jack to try and flatten the glue joint...
    Thin Lid, M-F No. 15.JPG
    Will smooth this out after a bit...
    There will be a smaller bevel going on...enough than the panel needed ripped down a bit to fit..
    Thin Lid, better hinges.JPG
    Found some better hinges, that even used screws, instead of too long nails...corners of the lid will get a miter...
    Thin Lid, needs fixed.JPG
    Lid still had a couple spots to be planed....so..
    Thin Lid, high spots removed.JPG
    Millers Falls N0. 9, Type 4.......pushed along at a skewed angle.....trying to avoid any tear-out. Panel is NOW flat and smooth. Debate now is whether to mold the edges of the lid, or leave it as a square edge.

Jumbo Jack is a Millers Falls No. 15, Type 3/2......about the same as a Stanley No. 5-1/2.....but without any chatter going on...
    The No. 9 is the same as a Stanley No. 4....but without Stanley's chatter problems.

May go back and re-stain the splines into something a bit darker?
    Stay tuned