Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mdf

Blog Entries
    I can't buy sheets of MDF right now (Utah) because I'm not a big enough buyer... I think I MAY be able to buy 3/4, but I can't get 1/2 to save my life. Otherwise, I'm relegated to HD or Lowes.

So anyway, for all those telling you to buy some at the pro shops... ha.

MDF is such a useful material for jigs and sturdy backing tasks. When I was in a professional's shop in England a couple of years ago, I saw him using green MDF that was exceptionally sturdy and dense. It machined like butter. No idea where he sourced it –– didn't think to ask. It might not be available in the US, but if I could find a sheet each of 1/4" and 3/4" I'd jump on it.

Just a suggestion about blades.

When I cut MDF or Melamine particle board, I usually change blades to a 7 1/4" circ saw blade. Dirt cheap, and easy to find. Very thin kerf too. I hate to dull a $100 blade on that stuff.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

When I cut MDF or Melamine particle board, I usually change blades to a 7 1/4" circ saw blade. Dirt cheap, and easy to find. Very thin kerf too. I hate to dull a $100 blade on that stuff.
    (As I smack my forehead and exclaim!>!>!>!)THAT is so simple....why did that never occur to me!

Thank you
    That tip alone is worth every penny of the $6 yearly subscription to here!

Thank you -Thank you -Thank you (as Gomer Pyle would say!)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Looks like the standard available HD 3/4” MDF is the right tool for the job. I just got a price on the Medex from Royal and it is $327 per sheet. I have a good sense of humor, but yikes!

Blog Entries
    I never noticed the difference, but after 40 hours I send the blades of to be sharpened..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

Honestly, I don't really notice that carbide blades dull much faster with MDF. I realize they do, but it's not enough for me to go through the hassle of changing out the blade. Steel jointer & planer knives are quite another thing though. MDF will dull them pretty quickly. My son unknowingly edge jointed a bunch of MDF pieces & the knives were noticeably dulled where it ran across them.

In my case I use the Melamine particle board much more often than MDF. Agreed MDF is soft, but don't forget the old adage about dulling a knife cutting paper.

Melamine particle board now, is another matter. I have seen sparks come off the blade cutting that. They used to make some that had much more glue, and was more dense. Forget what it was called, but that was like cutting rocks.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.