Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Butterfly

  1. #1

    Butterfly

    I have a 3” slab that has a crack top and bottom, not separated very much but would like to support it from getting worse. What is a good rule to determine the width and length of the butterfly insert and how thick would you make it. It is walnut and will be a side table. It is from the crotch of the tree. About 23” wide on the twin branch end and 12” on the single branch end. It will have mortised tapered wooden legs 3 1/2” wide by 1 1/2” thick cut to yield a tenon that will be 3 1/8” x 1” Question: The butterfly wedge joint to reinforce the crack on top and bottom.

  2. #2
    Experiment with card stock bowties of various sizes to see what looks right. Maybe start with 3/4" x 1 1/2" to 2" and go up or down from there. You can try various shapes as well, like a concave curve at the ends. I would make keys of that size at least 5/16" thick. Thinner would be equally functional but if you can see the thickness at the split it becomes a visual judgment.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Experiment with card stock bowties of various sizes to see what looks right. Maybe start with 3/4" x 1 1/2" to 2" and go up or down from there. You can try various shapes as well, like a concave curve at the ends. I would make keys of that size at least 5/16" thick. Thinner would be equally functional but if you can see the thickness at the split it becomes a visual judgment.

    thank you for the suggestions. That helps

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    9,767
    If you use the traditional bowtie shape, with its sharp corners, you're pretty much committed to handtools. If you use a shape without the sharp corners -- think dogbone for instance -- you can do it all with a router.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If you use the traditional bowtie shape, with its sharp corners, you're pretty much committed to handtools. If you use a shape without the sharp corners -- think dogbone for instance -- you can do it all with a router.
    It's all a matter of taste- but dovetail keys with rounded corners make me gag.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    It's all a matter of taste- but dovetail keys with rounded corners make me gag.
    The ones I’ve done in the past I squared up the corners (sharpened)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,999
    Eagle-America has a router template for this: https://www.eagleamerica.com/product...uter_templates
    Hobbyist

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Eagle-America has a router template for this: https://www.eagleamerica.com/product...uter_templates
    thank you. Will look at the link

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Fairbanks AK
    Posts
    1,025
    I stumbled on this one some time ago and it helped me relax about bowties/ dovetail clamps rather muchly.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNBO2OBxF8k

    On my 3" thick chop for my leg vise I made bowties about 11/16 thick, cut mortises about 9/16 deep, planed flat after glue up. They are less than a year old but I am not worried about them, Doug Fir in Doug Fir.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I stumbled on this one some time ago and it helped me relax about bowties/ dovetail clamps rather muchly.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNBO2OBxF8k

    On my 3" thick chop for my leg vise I made bowties about 11/16 thick, cut mortises about 9/16 deep, planed flat after glue up. They are less than a year old but I am not worried about them, Doug Fir in Doug Fir.

    Thanks, will look at it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •