Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbie Tables - My Eldest Daughter's First Project

Barbie Tables - My Eldest Daughter's First Project

You may have noted the Barbie beds I showed pics of in the "Weekend Accomplishments" thread this past week. They were much appreciated and prompted Nastia (Anastasiya), the older girl, to request additional pieces. Of course, I said yes with the caveat that she was going to do the work. It was also an opportunity for some "bonding" time with her as she is closer to Alison and Alesya had a dentist appointment this morning. So...I fired up the shop heat after breakfast and after a little while we went out to work on the project.

The first step was explaining the shop rules. They are simple, but a little harder to impart in an unfamiliar language...translation isn't "exact", unfortunately. Safety glasses are required at all times. No touching any of the power tools. Papa will show you how to do something first...watch carefully...and they you get to do it. Strangely enough, she pretty much stuck to these rules which is nice because she is a bit rebellious and impatient.

Second, we had to work things out on paper first, at least a little. So I had her retrieve a Barbie to allow for measurements. I gave her the choice of a square table or a rounded one...of course, she chose the rounded version. . From there, we headed to the shop to get started.

First step...create an ellipse on the material for the table tops. (scrap 1/2" MDF) We used the "two nails and a piece of string" method which she thought was pretty kewel. I cut out the tops on the bandsaw and had her sand them smooth. (well, sorta smooth...) Next, I marked out the legs on some pieces of 3/4" poplar dowel and showed her how to use the hand saw. (I purposefully measured slightly long...) She did a good job despite the fact that I had no knowledge of the right words to say things like, "Don't press down...let the saw do the work."

I then "trued" up the legs on the table saw with my sled to insure that the tables would not rock. The last step before assembly was to drill some 3/4" recesses with a Forstner bit at the drill press. She was taken with the curly material ejected by the bit...it looks like macaroni... I then showed her how to apply glue to the legs and insert them in the mortises...driving them home with a few taps of a small hammer.

On to finishing...after some more sanding, of course. The shellac was still on the workbench from the beds, so I had Nastia don some gloves, roll up her sleeves and get to work. Bottoms first and then two coats on the tops. Shellac is a good choice for this kind of thing 'cause it's easy and fast. Children really don't have a lot of patience to wait and this is a finish that works in that respect.

We did start to make some couches after the tables were set aside to dry, but the limit of attention span had been reached and exceeded. Once Alison and Alesya pulled in the driveway after the dentist and hair cut...work came to a screeching halt, hopefully to be resumed either later today, later this weekend or whenever.

Obligatory Pictures:
    1. What every well-dressed woodworker wears...
    2. Learning to saw
    3. Sawing some legs
    4. Surreptitiously trimming said legs square and all to the same length...
    5. Whacking the legs home
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some more pictures

Some more pictures:
    1. Getting started on the finishing
    2. Moving right along...what a face!
    3. Barbie approves...but is a bad girl for not wearing HER safety glasses!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very cool Jim!!! It certainly looks like she was enjoying the whole process, and think how cool it will be for her to know that she had a hand in Barbie furniture. My munchkin is still too small... for now
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Excellent post and pictures, Jim. Looks like fun was had by all-especially the proud papa.

Bob

Good Job Papa, but where are Barbies safety glasses ?

way to go jim! the attention thing doesn`t get a whole lot better as they get older but it does improve. keep up the good work. tod

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    the attention thing doesn`t get a whole lot better as they get older but it does improve.
    Yea...I know. At almost 49 I have the same problem...
    --

Jim,

That is just GREAT! There is no better way to spend time than you have shown here.

She is a doll.... yes Barbie too

btw.... were did you find those fashionable safety glasses for her?

Very cool, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    btw.... were did you find those fashionable safety glasses for her?
    Lee Valley, I believe. They are designed for kids. I personally don't like wearing that type, but they are the best style for young folks because of the complete all-around protection. Unfortunately, they also are not great/comfortable with regular glasses...something she could benefit from wearing since her vision is very bad. I may need to go to a more open type as a compromise if she continues to be interested in doing this work because of that...seeing the cut line is somewhat important!

She kinda wants to go back out to the shop to work on the "couches", but I can't do that with both girls in tow...nothing for the younger to do and I can't watch her and help Nastia work at the same time.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-14-2006 at 2:24 PM.
    --

This might work for wearing over eyeglasses.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...207,42216&ap=1

Jim,
    That is a tear jurker of a post! ,,,,,Just Wonderful! Enjoy every moment!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

On to the "Divahns"...

We ended up returning to the shop later in the day to complete the "sofas" (Divahn). Here are a couple of pics:

1) More shellac-ing...
    2) A final word from the woodworker of the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    This might work for wearing over eyeglasses.
    I have plenty of those, Bob, but not in child's size. I need to find some because it's quite evident to me that she is going to need to wear her glasses to do any "real" work in the shop.
    --

Say Jim, where's your matching furry collar apron or smock???? She's making you look bad, you know! Looks like a super time had by all! Truly the kind of stuff memories are made of!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!