Thread: Switching to soft close

Switching to soft close

New poster so go easy on me 🙂

If I have Blum 110 full overlay hinges that I want to change to Blumotion soft close hinges, do I need to change them all or can I do 1/2 on a door, 2/3 on a large door?

Is there any reason not to do this?

Thx

If you already have the non-blumotion hinges installed, look into the dampers Blum sells which can be retrofitted. https://www.wwhardware.com/blum-blum...gray-b970-1002

There is not reason to change them all. The ones I buy have a slide switch to deactivate the soft close. Usually one is all you need unless it's a pantry or large door.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

I changed all of mine. The original non blumotion ones started making loud clicks when the door was opened and closed. I was changing them so I did them all. I would just order 1/3 of what you need and try changing one. If that doesnt cut it try 2, then 3.

I changed half on all but the larger doors, where I changed all, and they’re fine; they close softly. The only issue I have is the caps don’t stay very well on the older hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert L Stewart View Post
    There is not reason to change them all. The ones I buy have a slide switch to deactivate the soft close. Usually one is all you need unless it's a pantry or large door.
    Thank you and everyone else for your replies

The ones I got have the little slide switch to deactivate soft on some. I just wondered if there was any point to spend the money changing them all if 2/3 on pantry doors and 1/2 on smaller doors closes more than adequately soft.

The hinges look exactly the same minus the soft close feature so I didn't see any possible issues but just wanted to ask some people familiar with this stuff in case I was missing something

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ramsey View Post
    I changed half on all but the larger doors, where I changed all, and they’re fine; they close softly. The only issue I have is the caps don’t stay very well on the older hinges.
    Good to know

My house came with no caps at all so I'm just going to leave them without