Thread: okay to use pl300 to glue plywood to concrete?

okay to use pl300 to glue plywood to concrete?

I have got a very small concrete landing area (about 4ft x 4ft) which needs to covered by subfloor so laminated floor can be installed.

Can I just use some leftover loctite pl300 to glue a piece of plywood to the concrete or I have to use some more specific glue for this purpose? Thanks

subfloorglue.jpeg

Can I just use some leftover loctite pl300 to glue a piece of plywood to the concrete or I have to use some more specific glue for this purpose? Thanks
    I did a ton of research on this before I installed the oak stair treads on the cast concrete steps leading from my family room up to the garage.

A special adhesive, like Bostik Best is what you need. It's both adhesive and vapor barrier.

The horrible part/news is - the stuff is so expensive & because it's a flooring adhesive, it doesn't come in small containers. I had to buy a 4 gallon pail ($250) and I used about 2 quarts.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I thought Pl 300 was for foamboard. I used PL 400 under the cement board I attached to my subfloor in my house under tiles. Never had a problem with it.

PL 400 . It will be a permanent bond. I have used PL 400 to glue down wood to concrete for years. It was how we always fastened bottom plates to basement floors when there was in floor heating lines in the concrete.

Put white (untreated) wood (including plywood) on concrete & it will rot.
    That's why it's against code.
    You have to use either pressure treated or install a vapor barrier.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 10-14-2021 at 4:38 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

what does the label or MDS say ?

Rich is right. We were gluing down PWF bottom plates on top of basement floors. You can get PWF plywood for your application. Sorry I was not more clear about the treated lumber aspect to begin with.

Rich is right on this in most circumstances. If the floor is above grade though and poured over a good moisture barrier, you would be fine with wood glued to it. In that instance, you would use pl400, not 300. Looks like a perfect place for some vinyl plank.

Why not a few nails and gravity?
    Bill D

Thanks guys, Ground Contact Pressure-Treated Plywood is the PWF you guys refered, correct?

Yep. that is the stuff.