Thread: Brick water problem

Brick water problem

I have a small uncovered front porch made of common burnt clay brown bricks. It is starting to crack & the bricks are coming loose. I chipped out the mortar & reset the bricks using rapid set masonry mix. I think water is getting in & freezing in winter. Would a sealer help reduce this problem? If so what sealer is recommended?

Is it possibly an old lime mortar without any cement?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Is it possibly an old lime mortar without any cement?
    Mel, the porch is about 30 years old so I think the mortar would have portland cement with sand.

Well, that makes sense. But there are some guys who “cling to the old ways”.

There are several masonry sealers on the market - so - yes - you should seal it.

I use Thompson's Water seal in a pump up garden sprayer myself. It wears off in a few years, but, it's quick and easy to do another coat so I don't mind.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks Rich!

Any big trees not far away?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Any big trees not far away?
    Interesting Tom. I do have 2 pine trees about 7 feet tall that almost touch the brick. The trunks are about 2 feet away.

I had a problem with water getting into my chimney, which is natural stone, and the chimney guy said it passes through the mortar, and to seal it with a siloxane sealer. Internet research indicated that this chemical soaks in and then cross links, or something like that, to make the surface waterproof. I've been using a brand called "silox-seal" ever since, coat every couple of years (I check if water beads up on the surface - if not, time for a coat). I've not had any water problems of that sort since I started. It's easy to apply, I use a hand held manual spray bottle. I get the stuff directly from the manufacturer, Amteco. Pricey but it seems to work well, so I've continued to use it - about 15 years now.

Ken in North Granby. CT

Thanks Ken!