Thread: What is it

What is it

Found this in a box lot of misc. items that I bought at a tool auction about a week or so ago. Any idea what it is? Seems like something that would go in a bit brace and it looks like a cutter or part of a cutter. Hoping someone here might know. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

tenon cutter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Morris IV View Post
    tenon cutter
    I agree, a round tenon cutter.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Morris IV View Post
    tenon cutter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I agree, a round tenon cutter.
    Also known as a hollow auger:

The Hollow Auger Depth Gauge.jpg

One is being used in my post "The Baluster Project" > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?293833

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for all the responses. I've been following Jim's post on the balusters but I guess I didn't look closely enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Milano View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I've been following Jim's post on the balusters but I guess I didn't look closely enough.
    Yours looks to be an earlier design. Mine has a couple of 1900 patent dates stamped on it.

There were quite a few different designs on these. Some were of fixed sizes and some where adjustable.

They are a useful tool to have. If a spoke pointer isn't available the end of the piece being made into a round tenon can be shaped with a chisel or rasp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I think you are correct Jim. I googled hollow auger and there is one on Ebay that looks exactly like the one I have. Heading says "Vintage George N. Stearns Hollow Auger Patent 1872." The only difference between mine and the Ebay listing is the word STEARNS was clearly cast into the Ebay one. It is not on mine. I haven't been able to find any markings on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Milano View Post
    I think you are correct Jim. I googled hollow auger and there is one on Ebay that looks exactly like the one I have. Heading says "Vintage George N. Stearns Hollow Auger Patent 1872." The only difference between mine and the Ebay listing is the word STEARNS was clearly cast into the Ebay one. It is not on mine. I haven't been able to find any markings on it.
    You never know what happens in the world of tool making. George N. Stearns died in 1877. His son Edward C. Stearns took over the company and changed the name. The older design may have been sold to hardware distributors with no name on it. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

jtk