Thread: dead flat table replaceable top

dead flat table replaceable top

I built a dead flat table years ago with a 4 x 8 replaceable top. I've been using masonite, but now one side of the masonite is rough and not very practical to use. I was thinking of buy some formica and using this. Biggest problem is glue from glue ups and I thought this would make the top last longer.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Masonite, or tempered hardboard, comes in different flavors. Is your material tempered? I have a top that was supposed to be replaceable made of dual tempered hardboard (smooth both sides). 18 years later I am still on the original top. Not surprising since they use this stuff for stage floors. Tempered both sides is the important detail.

Somewhere along the way I stopped bothering with replaceable tops since the stuff lasts . . . well, forever for me so far . Formica and other laminates have come a long way and can offer some really durable surfaces. If your fixture is already built for a replaceable hardboard top I would probably just do that and use a dual tempered product. With a coat of paste wax the glue pops right off. I re-wax annually or there-abouts.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-13-2021 at 8:23 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Masonite, or tempered hardboard, comes in different flavors. Is your material tempered? I have a top that was supposed to be replaceable made of dual tempered hardboard (smooth both sides). 18 years later I am still on the original top. Not surprising since they use this stuff for stage floors. Tempered both sides is the important detail.

Somewhere along the way I stopped bothering with replaceable tops since the stuff lasts . . . well, forever for me so far . Formica and other laminates have come a long way and can offer some really durable surfaces. If your fixture is already built for a replaceable hardboard top I would probably just do that and use a dual tempered product. With a coat of paste wax the glue pops right off. I re-wax annually or there-abouts.
    thanks Glenn
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Another option is melamine. At least a decent quality melamine -- and wax it.

I do the same as Glenn but have flipped mine over and replaced it at least once over the years. In any case, double tempered Masonite with a coat of Danish Oil followed by paste wax lasts a long time and sheds glue pretty well.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Another option is melamine. At least a decent quality melamine -- and wax it.
    The one challenge with Melemine is that the finish layer is generally pretty thin and easily damaged, unless there's a product with a much thicker coating I haven't seen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You don't say what your dead flat table is made of. If you used solid wood, laminating anything on top of it will have issues when the wood changes from seasonal wood movement.