Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vests, Aprons, Smocks for Woodworking and Carpentry

Vests, Aprons, Smocks for Woodworking and Carpentry

Just curious which types of tool belts, smocks, aprons, and vests people are using while doing woodworking?

The apron I'm using has the fault that lots of things fall out when I bend over/down. Maybe there is no good solution for that.

When I taught Industrial arts I used a denim apron with no pockets for keeping sawdust, paint and finish off my clothes. Worked great, comfortable and did not restrict movement. Only had one small pocket and honestly didn't use it.

Ive tried a few I cant get used to it. Though I have only tried the heavier ones. The quality of the katz moses one is very good. I may try a lightweight cotton one at some point

I use this apron daily and love it: Briteree canvas apron.
    I'm a big fan of multiple pockets. Sometimes I'll even wear it outside the shop when fixing/installing things, to utilize the pockets and magnetic patch.

Like derek, if I bend over too far, my depth gauge and safety glasses will fall out of the loop/pocket I stash it in. It's irritating, but that's physics for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Beymer View Post
    Cool magnetic features, especially that screw holder.

Blog Entries
    I got this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quite inexpensive, durable and comfortable. Pocket layout is very good & there are flaps that keep the sawdust out of the lower ones. Unsecured items have occasionally fallen out of the top pockets, but that's infrequent. I do wish it had a metal tape measure holder, and I have plans to 'renovate' to include one.

depends on the work. in the shop had one tool belt 25 years all sown back up and stapled together. Carpenter friend tore strips off me to get a new one so finally did. It came apart in about a year.

Got Occidental and its forever stuff but its heavy and stiff but was good on roof rebuilds as you can hang drills from it. First time on the roof with it I bent over stuff fell out so I modified it and made it fully floating hanging off the suspenders but not attached in the middle. I did several modifications to that belt with stuff to make it more useable

Have lighter ones as well, All are a pain in the butt but in the shop the original one had had so much in it that it saved me lots of walking time. At the saw I had all the stuff I needed for measuring and checking. Squares calipers and and and. Blaakladder pants now hold sort of enough stuff. Belts on my waist are not comfortable always traveling around. Friends father said when you get old your ass will fall off and no hips and wearing a tool belt will be hard. Guess it happened.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 10-12-2021 at 2:26 PM.

I had an apron once that had a pencil/pen/ruler pocket on top that was only attached at the top edge, so it swung down when you leaned over and kept stuff from falling out. I was always afraid it was going to get caught in a lathe chuck or something.

I have the same problem with stuff (mostly 6" scales) falling out of my current crop of apron pockets. I'm thinking of sewing a flap over the top of the pencil pockets.

I have one of the bucket boss aprons and it's just OK. The pockets fill with sawdust over time which is likely the case with any that don't have cover flaps. It has enough pockets for the tools I normally keep in it. I've yet to find one from any manufacturer that has enough pencil pockets to suite me, most have one or two. I keep a mechanical pencil, a Pica dry, two sharpies, and a pen in my apron and would greatly prefer separate little compartments for each of them. I also have a tool vest that I mostly use when working outside on projects as I get too hot wearing it inside, even though it has a mesh back.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I volunteer at the local furniture bank. We cut lots of melamine and those cut edges really wear out a shirt quick. A few of the other guys on the cut crew wear aprons. Don't know what brands. Although I would like to have the protection, all aprons I've seen are too long for me. Would drive me nuts when I have to crouch, etc, and have that apron around my knees.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have a Bucket Boss leather apron with lots of pockets that I use on a ladder sometimes or on a roof, but in the shop I don't wear it much. I would like a long apron with no pockets that I could wear when turning, to keep the shavings out of my pants pockets. In the summer I wear shorts with no pockets and sandals, but in the winter my jeans pockets get full.

I have a canvas one that GF bought me for christmas last year. I have the same issue (stuff falling out - mainly the small metal ruler and the wrench for the router). I'm wondering if a magnet stuck to the inside would help...

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Beymer View Post
    I'm a big fan of multiple pockets. Sometimes I'll even wear it outside the shop when fixing/installing things, to utilize the pockets and magnetic patch.

Like derek, if I bend over too far, my depth gauge and safety glasses will fall out of the loop/pocket I stash it in. It's irritating, but that's physics for you.
    I purchased this, I'm going to give it an "Amazon Try".

I tried a few different ones and have ended my search with this one. Straps fit me good and I like the pocket layout. Not to long either which doesn't restrict movement .
    https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/a...QaAqIjEALw_wcB

Harbor freight - $4 - can't beat it with a stick.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/denim-apron-32306.html
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...