Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vests, Aprons, Smocks for Woodworking and Carpentry

Seven Mile Creek Apron has toolmaker, machinist aprons That I have used and like.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I have a Bucket Boss leather apron with lots of pockets that I use on a ladder sometimes or on a roof, but in the shop I don't wear it much. I would like a long apron with no pockets that I could wear when turning, to keep the shavings out of my pants pockets. In the summer I wear shorts with no pockets and sandals, but in the winter my jeans pockets get full.
    Zach—try a turner’s smock. Zip to the neck and no shavings down the dirt into the uhhh belt line. And the fabric sheds chips keeping them out of pockets. I thought it was showy for a hack turner like me, but had to wear one in a week long class. After a few sessions I was hooked—especially for green bowls.
    edit—should be no shavings down the SHIRT.
    Earl

I don't use any kind of vest, apron, tool belt, etc., in my shop for woodworking outside of a smock when turning at the lathe to keep materai from going into my clothing from the turning process. I'm very anal about where tools and things are and have never felt the need to carry things around other than, perhaps, a pencil in my shirt pocket. For home improvement, I do use a tool belt due to the nature of the work.

My turning smocks have soft, elastic collars at the neck for comfort.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Duluth apron. It is comfortable to wear, when I remember to put it on. I do not like lower pockets in an apron. In fact, I don’t like pockets. My pencil is over my ear up in the ball cap and the tools are sometimes where I want them. The Duluth apron is nice.

Geez, I already got it. Amazon same-day delivery. Looks pretty nice, I'll try it out this weekend.

Waste of time going to get things when you are working or working at a machine. Instead you can have most of what you need in a tool belt. Sawdust in the belt never bothered me, blown out with compressed air every now and then.

I like my Veritas Canvas apron.. it's side pockets are a game-changer!

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Geez, I already got it. Amazon same-day delivery. Looks pretty nice, I'll try it out this weekend.
    That's great. Let us know how you like it.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    For a long time, nothing but my Levi's and a tee shirt, flannel in the winter. Then went to a couple different aprons, some with multiple pockets- they were good for finishing and glue ups and such but the pockets fill up with sawdust and a mixture of fasteners, tidbits of mouldings etc
    But the past few years I've taken to wearing bib overalls and am finally happy- lots of specific pockets for scales, pencils, phone, utility knife, folding rule, tape- everything and the pockets dont get full of junk and, depending on the brand, offer a nice layer of protection from flying sawdust and chips.

I have a Calavera apron. Absolutely love it. Having everything on me is very handy, hah.

https://calaveratoolworks.com/

I've tried them all but aprons always seem to drag on finished work at some point and pockets fill up with crap. I used a drywaller's leather pouch, good tool organization, but still just too bulky. I'm back to a clip-on tape/knife/pencil tool holster or just a tape clipped to my watch pocket and a pencil in a pants pocket by my knee. I keep a 6" rule and squares at the saw and on a tool caddy next to the bench.

I like to use a military MOLLE vest as a tool belt if I'm going to be moving around a lot. Hospital scrubs for working on the lathe. I have a Lee Valley apron, but usually dont remember to put it on.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters;[URL="tel:3148065"
    3148065[/URL]]I like my Veritas Canvas apron.. it's side pockets are a game-changer!
    I’ve tried several. The one David links to is the only one that’s stuck.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

old guy said every work bench in Germany had a roll around beside it full of all needed. Never asked if he wore a belt back then.

Its all going to depend on work. those aprons are no good for carpentry stuff at least roof work then tool belt can be too much in a shop. My first one was simple and light and mcgivered up to have all I needed. Leaving tools at the saw is fine, fine for the saw but then you are at the mortiser, then you are at the shaper or the planer or, need a caliper and if you are not wearing it you are walking back to where ever its kept.

The key to a good apron is its straps, wider shoulder neck straps make it comfortable to ware. The rest is just the pocket lay out and that varies with your own use.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006