These stands are laminated using pieces cut from a larger plank. Band sawed thin then placed through my sanding planer to achieve the final thickness of 1/16". The pieces were cold bent over three different jigs to create the separate pieces. Due to the extreme curvature I glued only two lams at a time using West epoxy, a 1/8" bending ply backer wrapped in waxed paper and individual 1/4" melamine pieces under each clamp pad. Working with only two pieces at a time, and using epoxy as the glue, greatly reduces spring back during each glue up and ultimately the final piece is as close to the drawn curve as I need for assembly.

This stand is made of genuine mahogany, as MacBeath Hardwoods calls it, however I have found that there is a variety of "genuine" mahogany's out there being sold as such that vary in density and color. In the 70's we called it Honduras however Honduras is no longer available (legally) in the US so we get mahogany from a variety of areas. The odd thing about looking for wood these days is that I can go through an entire pallet and not find two pieces from the same tree.

With this piece I found the darker of the two was a stiffer stand with less flex so I have been experimenting with subtle changes to the dimensions and have increased the angle of the wedge by 1/8" at its tallest point allowing the guitar to centralize it weight a tad better. Both stands are about 2 1/2 lbs. Sealed with shellac then multiple coats of wipe on poly with a
final wax with Renaissance.

2E9A8425.jpg2E9A8380.jpg2E9A8406.jpg2E9A8415.jpgIMG_4350.jpg