Thread: Desk Finish

Desk Finish

Building a desk for grandson. What would be a durable finish?

I built a desk ~1yr ago; used Minwax Polycrylic; no complaints so far.

Blog Entries
    Deleted. I wrote a post thinking Ed was asking what to finish a deck with, then realized my suggestions would be of no use

Arm-R-Seal, Waterlox, or any other OB varnish you like. As much as I like WB products, it's hard to beat oil based varnish for durability.

John

I built a couple desks, and have the vain notion they should outlive me. I finished both with polyurethane (one water-based, one oil). Since folks use all sorts of sharp and hard objects on desks, I had a glass shop cut 1/4" glass for each. I had them match the radius of the desk corners, as well. I used 1/4" because they rest on1/16" thick, 3/8" diameter urethane discs (like the ones on a cabinet to keep doors from rattling). If I had rested them directly on the desk, I'm sure thinner glass would be fine.

Yes, it's glass. But I soon didn't see it...just the marquetry of the tops. One of them is now 30 years old. Pens, scissors, shredders, lamps, spilled drinks (etc) have left no traces.

I used polyurethane on a table top that still bears the impressions made by son 25 years ago while drawing dinosaurs. I love the artifact but the finish remained soft for years after it was applied.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!