Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unisaw 34-450 won't start/stay running

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Beymer View Post
    Thanks for linking that Curt; that switch has the best wiring diagram I've come across. This appears to be same switch, if I'm not mistaken.

Update: I took apart the existing physical switch, and wire brushed all the contacts. I did the same with all the contacts in the control box that were easily accessible. I also burnished the stranded wire ends that were soldered, which was most of them.

There was only minor corrosion on a few contacts. The end result was the same as before: motor starts upon depressing 'start' button, then shuts off when button is released (after two on/off cycles, it fails to run again, period).
    So on to plan B: replace the switch. I'm going to to some shopping around to find a better price; if I don't find anything, the Grizzly switch Curt has referenced may be what I end up ordering.

Eric: Based on the notation on the motor plate ("22/11"), I would set the overload dial to 11, correct?
    Also: I was wrong, my motor is 2HP, not 1.5hp. Attachment 466374
    Buck that's terrific that you got it running! Looks like a good solution.
    I just saw these posts so I'm a bit late to the party.
    Technically, it looks like you could use 1.15x11 (115% since I don't see a SF specification on the nameplate) as best I can read from the nameplate if you're using 230 VAC (you're likely using closer to 240 but close enough). However, setting it at 11 means that if you do have any trip issues then you could raise it a little bit to overcome it. It is doubtful you will load the motor at full load for long enough to cause trips.

Nice work!

I'll keep that in mind in case it ever trips. The nice thing about that magnetic switch is the visual indicator that shows yellow if it does trip.