Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Chuck advice please

Drill Chuck advice please

I have a Nova Voyager Drill press and i wish to change out the chuck and 2MT arbor. Any suggestions for a quality replacement??

Thanks

When you say quality, what does that mean for budget? You can spend $500 for a precision Jacobs brand chuck. Also do you want key or keyless?

Here is the one I put on my Voyager. Three and a half years later the chuck still scrolls smoothly. Runout was negligible after playing with the 3JT to MT2 adapter a little bit. By playing I mean removing and rotating slightly before reinserting.

Here is the adapter I used.

keyless and a 300.00 budget if need be

Blog Entries
    Albrecht, I’d just buy one in good shape from eBay.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm happy with the Llambrich JK-13 MT2 I put on my Voyager. Integrated MT2 shank so less fiddling leads to more reliably low runout. Was $260 when I bought it earlier this year.

I'm also very happy with the Llambrich JK-13 MT2. With the integrated (solid) MT2 shank, I'm seeing less than 0.0018" total runout to a ground shaft mounted in the chuck on my Jet 17" drill press. The grip of the jaws on a drill shank is phenomenal, with minimal twisting to tighten.

Do not buy a new Jacobs chuck. They moved to China and the quality did not. They are surviving on their name, not quality.
    Bill D

I've never owned a drill press, and I was thinking about the Nova Voyager as a first (and hopefully, last) drill press. But a 2k drill press doesn't come with a good enough chuck?

I bought a $50 keyless chuck on Amazon for my Nova. Run out is less than 0.005" and very happy with it. For woodworking, it is more than good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mitchell View Post
    I've never owned a drill press, and I was thinking about the Nova Voyager as a first (and hopefully, last) drill press. But a 2k drill press doesn't come with a good enough chuck?
    I have 0.007 runout on my Voyager with OEM chuck. Good enough for most wood working. However, I would like to get a better chuck on of these days.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mitchell View Post
    It is a "good enough" chuck. Sadly that is the extent of it though. Excellent drill press with a mediocre chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Albrecht, I’d just buy one in good shape from eBay.
    Another vote for Albrecht. Not cheap, but the quality is top notch.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

thanks for all the great suggestions