Thread: Best finish for exterior wood stained garage doors??

Best finish for exterior wood stained garage doors??

About 3 years ago. I restained 3 exterior wooden garage doors of mine. I used SIKKENS for the stain and was generally pleased with the application and results.The doors are wood and we liked the way you could still see some of the nature/ stain of the wood underneath while still providing protection for the doors.
    I'm curious wth time if some of the stains, approaches, brands have changed.....Your ideas, recomendations will be very helpful to me as we prepare for winter etc...thank you.
    Jerry

I'm mostly curious as to your brand, type stain recos.....I know there is no perfect exterior semi transparent (prob oil based) stain for previosly stained wood but your ideas, experience would help... Thank you..
    Jerry

you can recoat the sikkens. it's about the best thing out there. I have a sun exposed fir front door that looks great after 3 years, in Colorado! we used sikkens on our boat teak as well. always held up great.

I recall that Sikken's Cetol stain is now sold under the PPG Prolux name. Still the best stain available.

Yes, agree with y'all: I think SIKKENS is the best available stain for uses like this....You all seem to agree...

As I go to order, I'm a bit confused.....It is now labeled PROLUXE-PPG (not Sikkens)...(AS Scott said) but I'm hoping this is only a name change because it was an EXCELLENT Stain in the past...Assuming no major changes in the formula?

Thanks guys...Let me know if there are some changes. Appreciate your help...
    Jerry

A lot of things to consider when choosing an exterior stain and/or protective coating.
    I use TWP products, YMMV as they say
    https://www.twpstain.com/