Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

11 Oct 2021

Greetings,
    I finished up the historic wooden lanterns that our church wanted for decorations. Nothing fancy, just simple design and construction. I got time to turn all 96 cutters on my shelix cutter head to fresh edges. I also added a 20 ton hydraulic press to my shop tool collection. This past week I started work on planing the ash wood for my son's queen sized bed. I'll have more time for that project this coming week. The new job is going just fine and I'm liking it and my new boss and teammates just fine.
    Here's a pic of the lanterns (at least that's what they called them).
    lanterns.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Glad things are going well for you Dennis!!!

The big project for this past week was moving all my sheet goods and lumber from paid storage rental to on-site temporary storage. The corporation that owns the rental places offered up a nice 60% price increase after only four months (not specific to me...it was just bad timing for me) so I accelerated getting out of the rental given I'm still quite a way from being able to build a new shop building. At any rate, it's all here on-property which will be a lot more convenient. Yes, it's not conditioned space, but the lumber wasn't in conditioned space at the old property, either. It will be dry and accessible and when I do get the building up, the storage tent can be sold and the material used for the solid decking can be re-used. Nothing wood touches the bare ground, either. Sheet goods and veneers are in the permanent shed which was the most convenient for loading/unloading and the solid stock is in the Shelterlogic, um...shelter...

IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0216.jpg

Other things that got done included completely finishing the stairway remediation project including grouting the replacement tile, etc. It's a lot safer now with proper railings and the tripping hazard is also gone.

IMG_E0211.jpg

Professor Dr SWMBO and I took a trailer load of donations to the Habitat ReStore on Saturday which leaves only a little more odds and ends at the old property that I need to deal with in the upstairs of the shop building. I'm planning on taking care of that within the next week or so. We have our "crossables" crossed that an interested party will extend an offer this week, but are not holding our breath. Please cross yours, too!

I may get started on a pair of nightstand tables for our guestroom this week. I've identified the material I want to use in my "stash" and just need to proceed with the work. They will be the typical Shaker style that I tend to favor, but it's looking like they will be "daintier" and made from VG D-fir.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lots of time on Zoom calls and still took a little time to prototype a 4 chamber train whistle. I'll be making 12 for the family "musical" for Xmas. Material from West
    Penn on hand: Cebil, Olivewood, and Mapui (sp). Also started another lace wood light house for USF's engineering management honor society.

Passed the kitchen rough inspection and got the sheetrock hung before leaving for a few days in Dacula GA to attend a wedding. Stopped by the Peachtree woodworking store while in GA and picked up a few small items. Would have liked to hit Highland woodworking too, but it was farther away from where we were staying and I didn't have time.

Now that I'm back from the trip, will start on taping the sheetrock and ripping up more of the old flooring.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

My mother in law came over for Thanksgiving and we had a great time.

I glazed the two doors for the book box in the front garden, that’s another career I have no aptitude for

Tonight is our monthly Virtual wood working call, looking forward to that…..Regards, Rod.

Finished up a simple coat rack for the laundry room. Hooks are glue up of two 3/4" boards with the end grain laminated with 1/4 face grain.

Brian

Coat rack complete.jpg
    Brian